1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Skills Audit

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sallysparrow, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Does anyone have a simple audit for maths skills for staff (Primary)?
    Would be very grateful to see a copy or to hear where i can find one on line.
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. No - sadly it doesn't.
    Do you honestly think you are strong in all areas of maths and english? Although i am a maths leader and i have an English degree, i am well aware that there are areas where a little more support would be welcome. In my view, to believe that i know everything about anything is rather arrogant.
    there is a need to ensure that maths is taught to a high standard and staff need to be invited to assess their own knowledge and ask for help in areas that they are not strong.
    I have seen maths lessons where mis information is rampant.
    I have had TAs in year 6 maths group not knowing what prime factors are let alone how to find them - but they are expected to support the children in their learning.!
    When we know where weaknesses are - we can put support in place in the form of training if need be.
    Thanks for your input though - much appreciated.

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

perhaps ask ITT providers. If you really want to go ahead with this.
    I really think this should be on a voluntary basis. I would be very put out if I were made to take such a test. Sorry, audit.
    I have a maths degree and feel I have a fairly secure grasp of the subject.

4. Errr how many primary teachers have a maths degree? probably not that many. How many primary teachers lack confidence in teaching maths - a straw pole of teachers i know at various schools indicates - quite a few.
    Should we understand that because the school has at least one maths graduate there is no further need for training - definitely not.
    will the audit be obligatory - again definitely not. Should staff have an avenue in which to express their lack of confidence - i would say a resounding yes!
    this is not intended to make anyone feel infreior, embarrssed or undermined but rather as a support mechanism to enable teachers to brush us their skills if they wish to take part. How would anyone go about forcing the issue - it wouldn't be possible even if it were desirable - which it isn't.
    But thnaks for your comments they have been noted.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Sod the skills audit, sounds too horrible even if it isn't really.. Just stick a note in pigeon holes saying you are going to be offering sessions in staff meetings focussing on topics that are hard to teach, for example fractions. Then ask for ideas of what people would like you to cover. Bet you get division, ratio and proportion, fractions and maybe subtraction from KS1. And I bet you don't get graphs or shape!

I agree that not everyone can do maths to the level needed. I observed in year 5 today and was astounded at the mathematical mistakes. I wouldn't mind so much (we can all have an off day) but I observed in the same maths class a fortnight ago with other mathematical errors.

I do have a maths degree and qualified (in another lifetime!) as a secondary maths teacher, so I know I have more knowledge and skills in this area than many of my colleagues. But I am always surprised to find errors being actively taught in lessons.

6. johndeere

johndeere New commenter

Maybe this?
    https://www.ncetm.org.uk/self-evaluation/

lisajaynewalsh likes this.
  7. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

You may well have already thought of this - so please feel free to ignore! I know that there are some areas of Maths that I am really confident in doing myself - but am not confident that I know the best way to explain to the children (for me percentages would be an example). So if a skills audit was asking me to rate how confident I am in working out percentages, it would be a different answer to if the audit was asking me to rate how confident I am in helping children to understand it. Hope that makes sense!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I would hope most teachers have good enough maths skills to cope with the expected knowledge at least up to year 4. Tricky things for some are decimal multiplication, conversion of fractions to decimals and percentages, calculating percentages, mixed fractions, ratio, equivalent fractions and - setting appropriate investigations. Seeing patterns in maths is also hard for some teachers.
    Most of these skills are appropriate for top KS2. Saying that - I have had to explain some stuff to other teachers before because they did not understand it.
    The hardest thing is explaining and teaching it! Especially fractions and decimals. I tutor up to GCSE and I am certain that despite all my efforts, children in year 11 can not easily explain why multiplying by 0.3 is the same as finding 30%.
    Same when I went on a course to use Excel in maths. We had to come up with a way of adding 20% onto a price. I simply multiplied by 1.2. Apparently "I was being too clever". Of course, I would not expect a year 6 child to do that (unless they were an absolute genius).
    The one audit I would hate is an arts audit. Or a music one.

9. Hadleigh239

Hadleigh239 New commenter