1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Skills audit completion

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by swalk69, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Just wondering if anyone can help? The TAs in our school have recently been issued with Appendix 2 (notification of proposed reductions in staffing). We have been told to complete a Skills Audit form and the only guidance given is "Selection Criteria for Staffing Reductions" information of what skills are required next year. Has anyone been through this process and can anyone offer any advice please? I have many skills that are no longer needed (i.e.SEN courses/experience) but little in things that are specified e.g. 5 minute box, ELS.
    Thanks in anticipation of your much needed help.

2. Just wondering if anyone can help? The TAs in our school have recently been issued with Appendix 2 (notification of proposed reductions in staffing). We have been told to complete a Skills Audit form and the only guidance given is "Selection Criteria for Staffing Reductions" information of what skills are required next year. Has anyone been through this process and can anyone offer any advice please? I have many skills that are no longer needed (i.e.SEN courses/experience) but little in things that are specified e.g. 5 minute box, ELS.
    Thanks in anticipation of your much needed help.

3. Is there any way you can avoid going down this route? It is a horrible process, even amongst a support staff who share a good working and social life. It destroyed years of trust and friendship, because basically, those with the highest level of qualifications will stay on, and others will be made redundant regardless of any other training, experience, skills and qualities which they bring to their post.
    I was lucky enough to keep my job, but 2 other TA's with a wealth of experience and a wide range of skills had to go, simply because younger TA's had degrees. The decisions are usually made by the Governing Body of the school. In our case, most of them rarely visited the school, and never made it out of the Heads' office and into the classrooms, so had no idea what we <u>actually</u> do.
    The second time this happened in our school (just 3 years later!) we immediately involved our unions, and this time, although several of us now work reduced hours, we all still have jobs. My advice would be to getin touch with your unions - you have the right to try to resolve the situation before completing the Skills Audit.
    I wish you all the best.

4. Thanks for your help pdpnuts. We have been asked by the head if anyone wants to reduce hours and if enough hours are saved then it will not come to having to complete the Skills Audit. However the majority of staff either cannot afford to reduce or think they are safe (looking at the proposed skills needed for 2011/12) and are willing to chance it. I myself though having covered full-time for quite a period of time only have a part-time contract which I can't afford to reduce any further. I can see already that our previously good natured team that get on brilliantly are starting to feel the competition from each other and it will no doubt turn nasty which no-one wants. The unions are coming to talk with everyone next week so hopefully will be of some help. There are people with less experience at our school who are currently doing care posts with recently aquired Level 4 qualifications, does this mean they will be put against experienced TAs too? (Care posts are also completing there own Skills Audit).
    There are so many unanswered questions as to how the process will be done fairly and as you say how can a Governing Body know what skills/experience are really relevant. Lets hope as you say the unions can offer some solutions to prevent this.
    Thanks again.

5. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

I should imagine that the skills audit will be the main criteria for selecting those TAs who the school intend to keep on. The list of requirements (IE 5 min box) will obviously play a large part in selection so in effect keeping the criteria for selection objective and fair. In the real world this means that any additional qualifications anyone has over anyone else should not be taken into consideration unless it is stated as a requirement.
    (This does not stop a school from filtering out staff they want to get rid of because basically all they have to do is put in a criteria they know ' a particular individual has not got and all is considered above board. ( My daughter works for a large solicitors firm in Human resource and I was flabbergasted to hear this)
    You might be feeling vulnerable if you haven't had experience in what is on the list, However, that does not for one minute mean that you could not carry the tasks out suitably. You need to show your understanding of the 'list' of tasks' and perhaps say how you would carry out a task.
    For instance the 5 min box whether literacy or numeracy is generally supporting those children on wave 3 level and where there are large gaps in their learning compared to their peers. It requires a simple assessment of their strengths and weak areas and a regular (Daily) 5/10 min session to consolidate new skills. This can be as simple as a child learning to write their own name to reading age appropriate books. This is something you could easily look up so don't feel threatened if you have not experienced any of the skills on the list but make it your intention to find out about them and reflect on how you would work with individuals/groups etc.

I personally think in the future there are going to many posts like this where schools are having to make cuts and it could be any one of us.[​IMG]

Bluebell

6. Thanks for your response Bluebell and yes I think you are right, I am starting to hear of other schools that are in this position too, both Primary and Comps. I have heard about other workplaces "tailoring" the skills audits forms to meet their needs ie getting rid of individuals that "rock the boat" etc.
    I am aware that a lot the skills required as you say I could quite easily do but haven't become relevant to my particular job and yes I think I need to demonstrate awareness of these and willingness to learn, however just hope that that will be enough as well as other skills/experiences I possess.
    Worrying times ahead!

7. Hi there
    We had to do a skills audit in my school fairly recently, and the last of the unlucky ones has just left, one of them a very good friend of mine. She was devastated to learn her skills after 10 years were not considered good enough and understandably felt betrayed. It is a horrible process and one I would not wish on anyone. People were really stressing out about how to complete them , what should go in the form etc. It is tempting to have a scatter gun approach to filling in the form, ie throw everything down on paper that you can remember having done, but really all they want is a competent answer to the direct questions they pose. Not having seen your form, I don't know what you're being asked specifically, but do be aware that the questions highlighted in bold will carry more points. Our form was very heavily slanted with questions like, can you plan for lessons if need be, can you follow other people's plans at a moments notice (if your teacher is absent for example)...All angled towards Tas being able to take over a class as and when...
    Good luck, try not to stress, hope at goes your way.

8. Thanks Sheilagrapes for your response.
    I can see what an awful process it is already and the impact it is having upon morale. None of the questions on our Skills Audit form are in bold so I am assuming they carry equal weight but we hae had no info/guidance on how to complete these in. That seems a really unfair SA you had to complete as clearly not everyone wishes to cover whole classes. Ours has general questions about what areas we have worked in, experience, qualifications, courses and how we have applied them etc. Goodness knows how it will be scored on the matrix. Will just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.