1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ski trip without using a tour operator

Discussion in 'School trips' started by swampyjo, Jan 13, 2015.

1. swampyjo

swampyjo New commenter

I know about the risks and know that hardly any schools attempt to run a school ski trip of their own, but is there anyone here who does run a trip independent of a tour operator.

We have run adventurous activities for many years independently, so why not skiing if we have the expertise, the contacts and the experience?

2. RichardPThomas_

RichardPThomas_ New commenter

We don't for a ski trip but II think it's feasible (we do something similar to a Malawi) providing:

- The visit is appropriately risk assessed and goes through a robust approval system.

- Your school insurance covers all aspects of the visit such as travel and activity.

- The accreditation of any third parties used is appropriate (look for AALA of LOTC quality badge).

- A pre visit maybe appropriate.

- OEAP national guidance is followed.

You may also wish to consider referring to BS8848 which is a document that was written with regard to visits abroad, it is however expensive to obtain. If you have a SLA with you local authority then it would be worthwhile getting there advice from the Educational Visits Advisor, who are usually OEAP members.

Feel free to contact for or follow me on Twitter, one of my roles is a he EVC and I often share useful resources.

www.twitter.com/richardpthomas_

3. swampyjo

swampyjo New commenter

That is incredibly helpful Richard. Thank you very much. We are going to Sestriere in February 2016, but I am planning on going to a little known Austrian ski area the following year for half the price. We have lots of links there and a very experienced team behind me.

I have a meeting with a trip organiser from a nearby prep school who 'do their own thing', in the next month. Very exciting times, but so far away!

4. RichardPThomas_

RichardPThomas_ New commenter

No problem. If the third parties do not have accreditation then you could audit them youself. Do check that your insurance covers you for the altitude you are working - some school insurance policies do not. Also, which I'm sure you already do, have a robust emergency action plan, including having locations of hospitals.

Should an accident happen, robust planning, checks and procedures will provide the school greater protection from prosecution.

5. STC_adrian

STC_adrian New commenter

I agree with Richard - there is no reason why it can't be done as long as the proper planning and emergency response are all in place. BS8848 can be bought out right, but you should be able to find a copy in your local library if you prefer. You should also consider putting yourself on an Off-Site Safety Management Course if you've not already done one. It's a 2 day course covering all the legal and practical aspects of planning visits off site.

6. walderton

walderton New commenter

7. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

This guy works for a travel company.

8. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

[QUOTE="walderton, post: 12752423, member: 2778541"tour operators are essential for insurance purposes on school trips. [/QUOTE]

As does this one.

And the bit I quoted is not actually true.

blazer likes this.