1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Ski Dubai' (grumpy old gits need not apply)

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by ian60, Dec 20, 2011.

1. ian60

ian60 New commenter

We have booked for a cruise that happens to drop in at Dubai. We have two kids (aged 8 and 10) who would really like to go to the Ski Dubai thingy.
    Any responses from parents who have already been there?
    I am imagining that it could cost a pretty penny?

Good or bad, I'd like to here.
    Just to get the ball rolling; a pupil of mine broke his arm on this slope about 6 months ago

2. ian60

ian60 New commenter

We have booked for a cruise that happens to drop in at Dubai. We have two kids (aged 8 and 10) who would really like to go to the Ski Dubai thingy.
    Any responses from parents who have already been there?
    I am imagining that it could cost a pretty penny?

Good or bad, I'd like to here.
    Just to get the ball rolling; a pupil of mine broke his arm on this slope about 6 months ago

3. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

If they have skied before it might be boring! Very limited.

Personally I would take them to either Acquaventure or the other big water park but can't recall the name - both pricey to get in but plenty of thrills for that age - my son aged 11 loves them both!

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Wild Wadi?

5. If your kids don't ski it's the perfect place for them to learn as everything's cushioned and you can book an instructor to give them a lesson - they're pretty good. Also they have a kids area where lots of kids go and play while being supervised by staff there.
    Aquaventure is good fun also unless it's a busy day.
    Both options are a great way of escaping the desert heat. Enjoy!

6. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

What's wrong with being a git?

7. or grumpy?

8. What's wrong with being...
    Well having to sleep with the other six dwarves is a bit of a bummer.

9. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Thanks for all the responses, I am gathering that it is going to be a bit of a wallet basher.

Not a problem; noone eats until Feb 2012.

10. It costs Dhs180 for a two-hour slope pass, not sure if that includes clothing, but you can call 800 534 7873.

11. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Thanks for that catface, I think that's equivalent to about OR 18, which is a bit cheaper than I was fearing, so I imagine there will be extra charges for equipment.

12. You might find this link useful.

http://www.skidxb.com/home/about-ski-dubai/opening-times-and-pricing.aspx

Have fun

13. the 180 dhs is all in i.e includes equipment and clothing. Depend how long you are here and how many ppl are going but it might be worth buying the entertainer book when you get here. this way you can get 2 bogof vouchers for ski dubai and lots for aquaventure and wild wadi. you will save the 350 dhs for the book quite quickly then you can go and use the rest for food and other things in dubai. check out the entertainer website.

Ski Dubai is fab especially for newcomers to ski / snow boarding. The instructors are very good - if they can teach me they can teach anyone.

ps - sorry for the lack of capital letters - typing one handed lol

14. vickilew

vickilew New commenter

We took the kids there last week and had a great time. We planned on staying the entire day there and wanted a ski lesson for each of us as none of us had ever done that before. We paid for four 'Extreme' passes and I think we paid about 225 AED each. That meant that everything was included and we could go in and out as many times as we wanted. I would suggest getting there as early as possible to get your moneys worth ... there were huge queues for everything by early afternoon.

We also took the kids to Wild Wadi watermark for the day. This was a little bit cheaper and we spent the entire day there.

Also, check out Kid Zania in Dubai Mall - our kids loved it.

We are now back home and counting our (lack of) pennies!!