1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

sketchbooks

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by spikelshovel, Mar 21, 2012.

1. spikelshovel

spikelshovel New commenter

hi
    i was just wondering if you could give me advice on how you give out sketchbooks at your schools?
    we have always, sold sketchbooks,
    A4 for KS3, spiral bound charging the students 1.80. if students do not purchase one then we give them an A4 paper bound book which is much thinner this is paid for out of the departments funds.
    A3 for KS4 large good quality spiral bound ones charging the students 3.00, if students dont purchase one then we either recycle an old one that has barely been used or we keep all their work in an A3 folder.
    i am asking because our headteacher has said we can no longer do this! she does not want students paying for so many things. i agree in principal but she has also said that the books must be purchased and come out of department funds. we get less than 1.80 a student at KS3 and less than 3.00 a student at KS4 !
    i am very reluctant to buy and give out pooor quality books as i do not want students to feel their work is not of the same value as previous students also at ks4 i fear they will fall apart. i also know that i will give them out and students will automaticaly ask where they can get the better ones from!
    any advice as to what you do at your school would be appreciated.
    thanks

2. spikelshovel

hi
    i was just wondering if you could give me advice on how you give out sketchbooks at your schools?
    we have always, sold sketchbooks,
    A4 for KS3, spiral bound charging the students 1.80. if students do not purchase one then we give them an A4 paper bound book which is much thinner this is paid for out of the departments funds.
    A3 for KS4 large good quality spiral bound ones charging the students 3.00, if students dont purchase one then we either recycle an old one that has barely been used or we keep all their work in an A3 folder.
    i am asking because our headteacher has said we can no longer do this! she does not want students paying for so many things. i agree in principal but she has also said that the books must be purchased and come out of department funds. we get less than 1.80 a student at KS3 and less than 3.00 a student at KS4 !
    i am very reluctant to buy and give out pooor quality books as i do not want students to feel their work is not of the same value as previous students also at ks4 i fear they will fall apart. i also know that i will give them out and students will automaticaly ask where they can get the better ones from!
    any advice as to what you do at your school would be appreciated.
    thanks

3. Hi
    KS3 - kids buy an A5 paperback s/b embossed with school logo - 60p. Kids who dont pay we cover the charge, most pay though.
    KS4 - kids buy spiral bound ones, pink pig. Selection of A5 to A3 depending on ability range really. More able tend to do the bigger ones. Prices from £1.30 to £5. Kids know they can also source their own but prices tend to be a lot more in art shops as we all know.
    Bit of an issue with asking kids for money for books, certainly over the last 12 months and I am sure we will be in the same position as you soon. We would absolutely not be able to pay for all the books, our budget is less than yours! Well, the kids could have a book but not sure what they would use inside them as the budget would be spent! [​IMG]

4. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

We supply KS3 sketchbooks. (A4 black laminate cover stapled with logo) under £0.80 each. Students start GCSE in Year 9 and our GCSE/ A'Level students purchase a spiral bound sketchbook from us, or work on boards if they don't wish to buy one.

5. Making them is a great activity for pupils, there are some really good examples of elastic band bound sketchbooks, if you wanna see how "cool" they can look let me know i can send you some images of the ones my students made and they love the fact they made the books!! they are great for adding and taking away pages meaning you could just buy paper instead of bound sketchbooks and pupils will still end up with a great place to keep all their work. reducing your cost of sketchbooks in KS3 and really giving pupils ownership of their sketchbooks

6. spikelshovel

ooh mr Draw
    that souns fab i would love to see some images my email is aevdurkin@gmail.com
    thanks

7. darkness

darkness New commenter

It's as bad as the school fund money. Didn't it turn out that doing that was sort of illegal if you implied it was mandatory or didn't make it clear it was voluntary. I recall my old secondary doing this, and always felt rotten to pay.

If worst comes to worst, make one using 1 sheet of paper. It could be a little unfair if someone cannot afford to pay and end up with a crappier book.