1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SKEs Tell Me About Your Experiences

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by PloddingOn, Aug 9, 2018.

1. PloddingOn

PloddingOn New commenter

Hi everyone,

I've been offered a deferred place for 2019 as my paperwork won't come through in time to start this year. My training provider has suggested I do SKEs for French (my main subject) and German (which I haven't studied for about 5 years). I wanted to ask:

1) What is your experience of doing the SKEs
    2) Do they really take 20-25 hours a week
    3) Are there any providers you particularly recommend (especially for languages)
    4) What do they actually cover ?! There doesn't seem to be a lot of detail online

Thanks very much!

2. PloddingOn

PloddingOn New commenter

Any thoughts ???

3. uu15926

uu15926 New commenter

I did my SKE in Aug 2017, for a start in teacher training in Sep 2018. My subject is computing. I was very surprised that the SKE was timetabled, ie, certain subjects start on certain weeks for 6 weeks. I had thought that because they were online, they would be available at my convenience.

I would say that they take up to 20 hours per week, and like most things in life, the more able trainees, and subjects that you are more familiar, will take less time. My provider was TES. I can not recommend them. They provided me with subjects I was already familiar, and left out subjects I needed to improve. My university offered SKE, and the feedback from the other trainees was good.

The main emphasis on the SKE, is the pedagogical side, and how you may be teaching certain subjects. I do not speak another language, but this could be being aware of, how are you going teach the present tense, if your students have no idea there is a present simple, and present progressive tenses.

Some of the pedagogical strategies you will probably be made aware include:
    • Being reflective: how did your lesson go, how might you improve it
    • Assessment: how can you demonstrate what the students learnt
    • Engagement: how are you going to get students to engage with your class

4. PersianCatLady

PersianCatLady Occasional commenter

Do your research on SKE courses and look at reviews from other students who studied the same subject as you are going to and find out what each SKE course covers.

Also some provide textbooks and some provide nothing.

Don't sign up for the first SKE course you find.