1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Skellig

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bed, Jan 14, 2018.

1. bed

bed New commenter

This on behalf of a colleague:
    B0ll0cks and bloody are coming up in next weeks section of the book

What experiences have people had of feedback from pupils and parents?
    How have you managed it?

How have you managed the kids using its use in the book as license to scatter it through their own speech and writing?

In anticipation of lots of helpful replies and shared experiences,
    Thanks
    Bed x

2. bed

bed New commenter

By the way - it's a bit rich that the first time I tried to put in b o lol oc k s the Forum censored it to a line of asterisks!
    Come on TES - grow up!!

blueskydreaming and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I teach it to older kids. I just explain that Michael is upset and that people do say bad words in those circumstances. I just tell them tat while they might occasionally want to use bad language in their own writing to convey similar upset that it's better to say "He swore violently in response." than put the actual words in.

I'm surprised people teach it at Primary. I think the swearing is less of a problem than some of the ideas and concepts which are quite big and scary. The only objection we ever had was that the religious content was troublesome. I'm waiting for the accusation that Skellig is a "peedo" and we shouldn't study books which encourage children to touch weird men they find in the garage.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree this book is much more suited to Secondary than Primary, not particularly because of the swearing which one can explain as Flere suggests but because of the difficult concepts and yes the possibility of parents misinterpreting the theme of 'finding and befriending a strange man in the garage'.

nomad and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I once watched a trainee teacher use Skellig with a composite year 6 class, when most were away on a residential. She had been recommended to use it by the university. I had faith in her as a trainee, so left her to manage the week as she wished. It was part way through when she came to me and asked this very same question. Fortunately she was just using extracts from the book and the children didn't have a copy each, so I could tell her to simply skim over the words and not mention them to the class at all. It was a lesson to her in 'read any book you want to use in school before you use it!'

If the OP's colleague is using Skellig as a term's work and all children have a copy, there is little the teacher can do, except give vague explanations. However, it needs to be made clear, that the children are not now at liberty to use such language every time they are annoyed or upset.

I wouldn't teach Skellig in primary either...though I know it went through a phase of being the book to use with year 5/6.

6. asnac

asnac Established commenter

If children assimilated spoken language from books, you'd be hearing thee / thou etc. in the playground after they had been learning about Macbeth...

They will have already heard far worse.

I've taught Skellig to Y6 and discussed the language in its context, per @Flere-Imsaho . No problems, no complaints.

7. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Always used in secondary in my area.

8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

An important lesson, easily dealt with by Y6 is the correct register to use in spoken English. They know the difference between playground language, and how you speak to the headteacher and can easily take on that swearing in context is realistic and doesn't mean you can use it anywhere. Remember the peer who quoted sexually abusive language in the House of Lords and the newsreaders quoting Trump last week. It was right to quote it but not appropriate to use it at other times. Language is rich but context is everything. My colleague did Skellig with Y6.

blueskydreaming and Lara mfl 05 like this.