1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SKELLIG YEAR 5/6

Discussion in 'Book club' started by cerisj, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Hello,

I am a teacher in year 5/6 and myself and the rest of the year 5/6 team have started reading Skellig in literacy. We are aware that there are a few words in there that are unsuitable for them and I was just wondering if anyone else had come across this and how you dealt with it? We haven't reached that part at the moment but we have one child who loved the book so much that he borrowed a copy from the local library and has come across one of the words himself.

I would be really grateful if anyone who has had a similar experience could share what they have done or the approach the school took.

Thank you!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Ceris - you may get more replies if you post on the Primary Forum.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. annelda72

annelda72 New commenter

It's probably too late to be helpful but our school librarian has an excellent response to this. She explains that sometimes, to add power to their writing, writers like to shock readers with a rude word. Also, that while this is occasionally acceptable in written, published materials, it is not acceptable for children to say out loud / write.

Our class novel contains the word b*stsrd on 2 occasions. It was very powerful coming out of the speakers from the talking book which is actually read aloud by the author. I borrowed her explanation and also went into author effect - how does his use of the word make us feel about this character (he is the villain)? How else has the author influenced our feelings about this character.

4. annelda72

annelda72 New commenter

Hope this helps.