1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Skellig' The Play...any Scheme of Work out there please?

Discussion in 'English' started by lb334, Feb 23, 2011.

1. So sorry to ask, but absolutely any help, advice or resources regarding Skellig the play would be very much appreciated!
    I'm a media teacher covering a low ability year 9 class, we're set to study Skellig the play after half term and I'm scratching my head a bit even working out the best way to approach it....does anyone have anything they wouldn't mind sharing?
    Thanks in anticipation!

2. So sorry to ask, but absolutely any help, advice or resources regarding Skellig the play would be very much appreciated!
    I'm a media teacher covering a low ability year 9 class, we're set to study Skellig the play after half term and I'm scratching my head a bit even working out the best way to approach it....does anyone have anything they wouldn't mind sharing?
    Thanks in anticipation!

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Most of the resources out there and on tes seem to be for the book rather than the play. However if you register, for free, at this hodder site you can download worksheets, lesson plans and a scheme of work. Could be worth a look for free! [​IMG]
    http://www.hodderliterature.co.uk/default.htm

4. Thank you Marlin...Twas a grand idea but..
    Unfortunately whilst I've tried to register and nobody has got back to me yet, it is also saying on the website that "Teacher's Resources for Skellig: The Play are no longer available. We apologise for any inconvenience caused"
    [​IMG] Any other ideas?

5. marlin

I'm really sorry - I can find SO much about the novel - but not the play. There is an updated resource in drama loaded onto this site last week (I think) that may be worth you looking at:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Year-7-Drama-Skellig-SOW-with-full-resources-6071021/
    The only other resource I can offer is a resource pack from the Birmingham Stage Company - it may give some ideas, but it doesn't look a great help I'm afraid:
    http://www.birminghamstage.com/education/resource_packs
    So sorry that the other idea didn't work out .
    Good luck with your scheme though.

6. marlin

7. marlin

8. marlin

9. marlin

10. Wow - Bless you. You are a star! I haven't had a chance to check them out but I shall sleep better tonight and get cracking tomorrow.
    If ever you need any media or ICT help just let me know.
    Thank you so much! [​IMG]

11. marlin

You're very welcome - nothing like a challenge! [​IMG]

12. Still a huge thank you as there's some very useful stuff...
    ...but just incase you still like a challenge the resources are for the book. I just can't find anything for the play so I'm about to bit the bullet and adapt what I've got that you've kindly pointed me to.

13. marlin

Oh no! [​IMG]
    I'm afraid I've run out of ideas for any more searches.
    Perhaps when you've finished you should upload what you've done onto the TES site in case some poor soul has the same problem trying to find resources for the play in the future.
    All the best!
    M

14. I'm a bit suprised you are finding this quite so problematic. What are your anticipated 'learning outcomes' - i.e. what hoops are you expected to jump through?
    Just a thought, as you are studying media rather than English, would there be anything wrong with starting by watching the DVD first. Then look at the bonus features and see what your kids are interested in. You will probably want to refer to the novel as well at some point but as this is a lower ability group you might have more fun and less stress if you take a more organic (or what I prefer to call a "suck it and see" approach!) You could also look at other films about angels (or aliens) coming into people's lives at some critical point in their lives and why this is such a recurrent theme.
    As for the play itself, maybe select scenes that most closely follow the film, cast and read through with the class, annotating in pencil as you go. Depending on how enthusiastic the kids are you could do a short workshop type production for showing to other classes. Or you could take the theme as an assembly topic looking at the issues facing a child with a sick or dying sibling. Cross curricular work with <u>PSHE</u> (consult with SENCO or Child Protection Officer to make sure that this is handled sensitively), <u>Art</u> - painting a backdrop and angel inspired work (looking at William Blake connection), Chagall also springs to mind. Also, costume design and how a popular film/play can influence catwalk and high street fashion. Manga drawing. <u>RE</u> for the mystical elements. <u>Music</u> and sound effects to accompany certain bits and link the scenes. Instead of working in exercise books, have them produce a portfolio of work and plan a display for the corridor.
    I think this sounds like a really juicy topic to get your teeth into. Relax and go with the flow.