1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Skellig and other Y6 books

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Milgod, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Good morning to you all.

I was wondering if any of you have used Skellig before with a Y6 class. I haven't read the book yet, but have been told there is at least one swear word in the book. I just thought I'd check with the wise masses of the TES forums to see if there is actually only the one or many. Was it easily dealt with with your class?

Also, has anyone read Pig Heart Boy? Was this suitable for a Y6 class? Or do any of you have any other good suggestions for a whole class book that could be used for reading sessions? We read Clockwork last term, which was very good, but quite a quick read.

I thank you in advance for any help.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Have used Skellig in a Middle School in years 7 & 8. Not sure if I'd personally want to use it with children as young as Year 6. There are some interesting discussion points and the more mature the students the more you'd get out of some of those. It is quite allegorical too- in my opinion also better suited to an older student.Good book though and the bonus is there's a film version ( though not widely known) when one has finished to use for comparison.
    Just one opinion though.

rouxx likes this.
  3. Milgod

Cheers. It was recommend to us by a lit consultant/reading expert. I don't have too much issue with discussing some of the more mature ideas, but parents could be a problem if the children go home telling them they've been reading a book with swearing.

4. gill42

gill42 New commenter

I've read Pig Heart Boy with a year 6 class before. It raised quite a lot of discussion and debate as our children are predominantly Muslim, but they thoroughly enjoyed it and we managed to link quite a few writing activities to it. I'm not sure whether this applies to you or not, but I did speak to parents before reading the story, showed them the blurb and gave them the option to withdraw from listening (we read the book at the end of the day) but they were all very supportive and told me afterwards how much their child had enjoyed it.

5. nacca

nacca New commenter

Hi
    Not read skellig but read Pig Heart Boy

6. nacca

nacca New commenter

Sorry sent too early!
    Read Pig Heart Boy a number of times with year 6. In fact, it's one of my favourite books. Lots of fab writing opportunities too.

7. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Not sure if I would use Skellig with Year 6 - think some parents would have issues! Haven't used Pig Heart Boy as a whole class book, but lots of our Year 6s have read it and love it. Good whole class books we have used with Year 6 include: Holes; There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom; The London Eye Mystery and The Other Side of Truth.

rouxx likes this.
  8. Milgod

Thanks all. I'll start on some planning for Pig Heart Boy. Skellig . . . not sure what I'll do there. I wouldn't have an issue with my daughter's reading it, but other parents can be different as we all know.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I observed a (not very good) student teacher using Skellig with year 6. Apparently their university tutors had recommended it. It was fine, but not a book that appealed to me. Certainly no parents objected. Some children enjoyed it, some didn't.
    Mind you I didn't enjoy Holes or Pig Heart Boy either!

10. aspen_1

aspen_1 New commenter

Have used Trash with Y5 classes - very good book!

11. aspen_1

aspen_1 New commenter

Pig Heart Boy has some interesting issues but ? the writing quality (apologies Malorie!). Big thumbs up for Holes and There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom though - they're excellent.

WABTEC likes this.
  12. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We had a go with Skellig but some of mine ( I have a 5/6 class) found it too complex. We enjoyed There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom and London Eye Mystery though

13. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

I've used skellig with my top y6 guided reading group, but wouldn't use with the whole class!

14. edinteach85

edinteach85 New commenter

We've used Skellig in year 5 previously to great effect - the content is suitable as long as it is taught appropriately. We've also used 'Holes' in year 6 which the kids have really enjoyed.

15. Milgod

Did you not have any parent issues with the word b*llocks?

mrsminniemouse likes this.
  16. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Skellig's content can be quite hard. I teach it to S1 and even there some pupils get anxious about the baby's illness and find Skellig himself quite disturbing. The swearing is in a few sections of the book when the narrator (a secondary aged boy) is obviously stressed and upset.

17. Bolter

Bolter New commenter

ISkellig is the best reader I have ever used for upper primary - no idea what planet some of the above comments are from.

18. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

We teach in Year 6 that some characters swear. This tells us about that character. People also swear in real-life,however, we don't swear we can use our extensive range of vocabulary.

19. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

When we miss the nail and bang our thumb really hard with the hammer, our extensive range of swear words may well be used. (Swearing is more civilized than throwing the hammer at the cat or through the window, I think.)

20. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Skellig is just far more suitable for the KS3 age group - they would get so much more out of it and you use it in Year 6 then it isn't new for them if they meet it later. Bit like Pride and Prejudice was ruined for me as I was forced to read it when I was far too young. I understood it, I could read it, but I didn't have the maturity to appreciate it. I would have no problem with a Year 6 child reading it, but I suspect some parents would.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.