1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Skeletons coming out of Jeremy's cupboard...?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Morninglover, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Was the death of Bin Laden a "tragedy"? Well, Jeremy thinks so...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...errorist-sympathising-and-Britain-Hating.html

In an interview for Iranian television back in 2012, Mr Corbyn complained there had been "no attempt whatsoever" to put Osama bin Laden on trial. He said: "This was an assassination attempt, and is yet another tragedy, upon a tragedy, upon a tragedy. The World Trade Center was a tragedy, the attack on Afghanistan was a tragedy, the war in Iraq was a tragedy.

I didn't lose any sleep over Bin Laden's death...

2. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

As skeletons go, it's not a very bony one.

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

He believes in the justice system rather than assassination without trial. I agree with him. That doesn't make me a terrorist sympathiser.

Noja, InkyP, HelenREMfan and 3 others like this.
  4. Morninglover

But is BL's death a 'tragedy'? The word tells us everything we need to about Jeremy's mindset...

5. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I might have used the word farce, blunder or even 'breach of international law' rather than tragedy, but it's not a very scary skeleton.

6. bombaysapphire

I wouldn't use that word but perhaps I am less passionate about the justice system than Jeremy. He actually referred to "a tragedy on a tragedy.....".

7. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

My understanding of the original statement from Corbyn was that it was the failure to put Osama on trial that was a tragedy.

8. Morninglover

Not how it reads to me...

9. Rhoswen77

Rhoswen77 Established commenter

No kidding?

10. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

I noticed Dave pointing the finger at Corbyn labelling him a terrorist sympathiser. That's rich coming from someone who is allowing thousands upon thousands of potential terrorists into the UK despite repeated protests from the people he is supposedly trying to represent. Sympathy is one thing, acting as an enabler and therefore an accomplice sits at a whole different level, or doesn't Dave see this? Merkel is just as bad. She has thrown open the gates of Europe to 800,000 migrants, yet the more likely figure is 1.5 million, just like the 20,000 'refugees' we will be taking on will, in my view, end up being far more. You've got to hand it to Dave: he certainly knows how to over-deliver on things we don't want, just like old Tony and his illegal wars in the Middle East.

WaylonWu likes this.
  11. maurice-r

maurice-r Established commenter

Corbyn is too old and too thick, a copper-bottomed loser elected by fantasists who have lost touch with political reality The spivs and public schoolboys who run the country must be laughing.

WaylonWu likes this.
  12. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

It was the start of a slippery slope, that's for sure.

13. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

This thing has been going round for weeks.

This is the whole quote:

In a clip from the Press TV show the Agenda, Corbyn is heard complaining that there had been “no attempt whatsoever that I can see to arrest him and put him on trial, to go through that process”. He went on: “This was an assassination attempt, and is yet another tragedy, upon a tragedy, upon a tragedy.

“The World Trade Center was a tragedy, the attack on Afghanistan was a tragedy, the war in Iraq was a tragedy. Tens of thousands of people have died. Torture has come back on to the world stage, been canonised virtually into law by Guantánamo and Bagram.

“Can’t we learn some lessons from this? Are we just going to sink deeper and deeper?"

I agree with him too. Bin Laden should have been tried.

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Thing is... the method used... shooting him and dumping the body over the Indian ocean ... well it fuels conspiracy theory and martyrdom fantasists... I'd have preferred him to go on trial.

BUT... I can't really second guess a trained military operative in a situation I have no experience of and their actions... well, maybe I could but not from an informed position.

15. Morninglover

I also thought that at first...but then wondered what would have happened whilst he was awaiting trial - attacks on US (& probably other western citizens), maybe kidnaps of them holding them for ranson to get him released, then - once he was condemned to death, a growth of attacks as his (inevitable) execution approached. No, I concluded, a quick killing was probably the best thing....

16. bombaysapphire

@emilystrange thank you for quoting the relevant section. I can't do that on my phone. I think it is disgusting for Cameron to use this to justify describing Corbyn as a terrorist sympathiser.

17. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

So ,you take him out the system and try him,he gets incarceration and then becomes a martyr, possibly running terrorist networks from inside the jail.
    He never suffers as, in later part of life having been responsible for many many deaths and inciting murder,mayhem and terror, he only have to suffer a few years in jail and a restriction on his liberty.....personally, he should go the way of all terrorists...death. It saves a lot of money trialing him.......
    Was it wrong,,,,,. not if it can be shown he committed such deeds.I never understand in this country why we put up with such folks in our midst.Had it been a war time situation they would have been tried and hanged.
    Then again I am old fashioned in that i think those proven to have murdered some one should also be executed......instead of them getting out on parole for good behavior after a few years.

WaylonWu, midnight_angel and lexus300 like this.
  18. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

LOL

About five weeks late

A total misrepresentation of Corbyn

Putting people on trial - as we did with Nazis after the war - is the way we do things. We will now never know many of the details of the planning of 911, where the assistance and money came from etc.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  19. Scintillant

You know what a martyr is, right?

monicabilongame likes this.
  20. Scintillant

It says much more about you that you haven't bothered to look into this story before posting it