1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SKE science course at Sheffield Hallam

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by CosmicGirl3, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Anyone else starting this course in September? I'm really looking forward to it!

2. wkclark

wkclark New commenter

I just finished it! It was an amazing course - so glad I did it.
    The workload is insane at times. On the positive side, this prepares you to think it quite normal to prepare 2-3,000 word essays in a day while simultaneously preparing portfolios, placements etc... All of us were left exhausted but I'm pretty sure everyone felt like it prepared us well for a future in teaching. Because of the heavy workload, there were a couple of people you from this past year who had to leave the course for personal reasons. You might be seeing one or two of them around!!
    Best advice I can give you is to be organised and proactive about your workload - it really tends to pile up at the same time so get an early start on things. I guess in that way, and in several others, it's really great preparation for ITT.
    Good luck!!

3. wkclark

wkclark New commenter

Contact time in the first semester is an insane 21 hours a week. Plus they expect you to do about 2-3 hours at home per hour spent in lecture (yeah right). Second semester is entirely different: fewer contact hours (think I had about 13 pw, but varies by subject) but many. many more assignments. All of the assignments do have a very good purpose, even though it might just seem a bit heavy and pointless at the time - it does all come together at the end. Seriously good preparation!
    I've just begun a GTP and am so so glad I did this course. There are other Physicists starting the GTP with me and they're really nervous about the KS3 Biology! Very glad I got to do a massive brush-up on all three!
    Good luck, and if I can help in any way, just let me know!
    Kate

4. Thanks Kate that's great to know. Did you have your GTP place before you started the SKE ? I thought you had to have a PGCE place to do SKE but perhaps I've misread something!
    I'm looking forward to the challenge of the SKE. Is it all assessed by assignments or are there exams too? I've got two young children so it's all going to be a bit of a juggling act but anything is possible with enough determination (I hope!)
    Thanks again
    Sarah

5. wkclark

wkclark New commenter

Hi Sarah!
    Bit of a long story: I originally had a PGCE place, but with this year and a couple of years working in schools previously, decided to go for a GTP that I found (easy version of the story). Thing is, it's not just an SKE but gives an academic qualification (Diploma of Higher Education in Science Education), at least the Hallam one does, but the other programmes are all a bit different. I was originally signed up to do the SKE at Nottingham Trent, but that fell through (I am foreign). So I ended up at Hallam by happy accident in the first place. SKE is also available for GTP students, though I think you might be less likely to get a GTP place two years ahead of time needing an SKE.
    There are also exams. Three for the first semester, and then varies for the second (I had one). In all cases you have to pass the course work and the exams in every module. It's a big juggling act, but so worth it. Good luck! Just stay positive throughout and know you will get through it!!
    Oh! They forgot to tell us this until the last month or so - the SKE is not purely pass of fail. 100%-70% is a distinction, 69.9-55 is a Merit and 54.9- 40 is a pass, if I remember rightly. So think early on whether or not you think you can go for distinction. This year is not purely easy sailing, but there is tonnes of support. Use it if you need it.
    Kate

6. Hi Kate
    Thanks so much for all the info - it's so helpful! I feel more prepared for what I'm in for now!
    One last question - is there anything I should be doing/reading to get myself ready? I'm doing chemistry by the way.
    Best of luck for your GTP - is it in Sheffield?
    Thanks again, I really appreciate you taking so much time to answer.
    Sarah