1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sixty things to spend a million quid on.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Imagine for a moment that you won tonight's lottery and found yourself with more money than you'd ever dreamed you might have to spend. Probably sixty times more than most might have wished as a kid, would one day be theirs.

Times change of course, and a million doesn't go as far as it did when I first started work on an annual salary of £572. Back then, winning a million quid would have meant I wouldn't have needed to work again for 1,748 years.

If we think of a youngster starting work on a salary of say £20K who bought tonight's winning lottery ticket, he/she might be thinking "That's it, I ain't got to work for another 3,000 years"

In the context of the chancellor's budget speeches, sixty million quid seems a pathetically small amount and if you read what it says in the papers, you're only looking at fifteen years of bankers' bonuses, but as I've shown, it's a fabulous amount of money for ordinary people to think about.

The trouble is, what do you do with it? You can invest it of course, with the intention it will earn you even more money that you don't know what to do with. You can use it to see your family all right if you have one. You can use it to buy yourself a nice house with security modeled on Fort Knox, because you'll probably need it if the word gets out you've got a few bob in the bank.

Or you might think about setting aside enough to keep you in comfort for the rest of your days and spend the remainder of things you would like to see done to improve the world around you.

What might such things be? A donation to a political party? A refuge for the homeless? The building of a decent school that would be run along the lines they were when you grew up?

2. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Okay, so after I've made sure I'll be alright forever more, there's an idea I've always wanted to do.

I would buy old warehouses/factories/tower blocks and use the money to turn them into shelters for the homeless. There would be individual rooms (like university rooms) and communal areas like living rooms, laundry rooms and kitchens. There would be a GPs surgery to help people get over drug addiction, counselling, a job centre and shared flats for live-in staff. Homeless people would be able to live there, rent free, as long as they were staying clean and looking for work. They would help out looking after the communal areas. It would be somewhere they could put as an address so they could get a bank account, job, library card etc. The idea being that hopefully, once they'd got themselves into a better place, they could move out and the room would go to someone else.

It's a pipe dream, always has been and always will be. I'll never have the kind of money I need to do that sort of thing, even if I did do the lottery. But that's what I'd invest the money in, and work on it to keep the money coming in to keep the places open.

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I would buy TES and become "The one and only commenter"

Sillow likes this.
  4. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

You have to be in it, to win it.

5. Duke of York

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35265269

"The National Lottery website crashed following "unprecedented" demand for last-minute tickets ahead of the record £57.8m jackpot draw.

Camelot said it had expected to sell at least 400 tickets per second online and in shops in the hours before ticket sales stopped at 19:30 GMT."

What's the betting it'll be those Koreans who end up with the best chances of winning?

rouxx and monicabilongame like this.
  6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I could deal with 60 million.
    Buy homes for my children. invest money for them. Tell SMT where to shove their job! Give loads to charity. Travel the world. Buy homes in England, Caribbean and South of France but charter a boat (too much aggro to buy).
    I can dream.........................................

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  7. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

My sainted mother was always of the opinion that money was like manure-it only did good when spread around!!

Obviously, I'd ensure that me and mine would be secure and then I'd get one of those cheque books with a hundred cheques-maybe two-and just give the rest away. Can you imagine? 100k to this charity, 100K to that one. What a fantastically fabulous time!! :D

Like Belle, I can dream...............:D

Duke of York likes this.
  8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I would need something luxurious to transport me and my two fishing partners and our equipment. I was thinking a top-of-the-range Ferrari with roof-rack, tow-bar and trailer.

9. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I can't imagine that amount of money but I'd like several houses and a private chauffeur.

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I wouldn't want a chauffeur for the fishing Ferrari; I would rather drive it myself.

11. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Although I have been working my way through my 'things that must be done' list I haven't managed
    The Calgary Stampede
    A Super Bowl
    A Kentucky Derby
    A Melbourne Cup
    A Hong Kong Derby at Happy Valley (annoyingly Sister Spirit managed this last year...grrrrrrrr)
    A return visit to the Palio in Siena but in the swishest of the balconies
    A Monaco Grand Prix

For starters of course I'd need to sort out the basics. My car shopping list is quite simple a Sunbeam Tiger, A TVR Tuscan and Chimera. A house with a ha-ha. Pied-a-terres in Manchester and one in Leeds. A house on East Heath Road in Hampstead Village (used to drive along there regularly as I had to take Old Ma Spirit to The Royal Free) If I couldn't find the right one then there's a couple on Bishops Avenue that would just about pass muster.

Oh and I need a new freezer :D

marlin likes this.
  12. Duke of York

An admirable thing to have on your wish list, Sillow. It's the sort of thing I'd want to do, not only to shame the wealthy and powers that be that such a simple thing to do when you're rolling in it can make an enormous difference to hundreds, maybe thousands, of lives in the long term and if it became a fashionable thing for the wealthy to do in order to earn a gong of Her Madge, they'd all be queuing up to do it and we'd have hardly any homeless people on our streets to walk around in disgust.

This government seems intent on returning the nation to the division of wealth that existed in the Victorian era, but the nation now lacks the philanthropic spirit that the likes of Sir Titas Salt and his contemporaries had.

The current bunch of wealthies might build or buy homes, but they have an eye only on what the return they can extract from them are, rather than the need for people to have a home to live in, which if the price to rent is fair, would still bring in a decent return on their investment with minimal risk.

Your suggestion, Sillow is exactly the sort of thing I'd have done, had the lottery money come my way and I'd have turned down one of Her Madge's gongs, if offered, just to show how sick the system is.

C'mon TES! this post deserves at least two siggies. I challenge you to discover whether I'd accept either of them.

13. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

It appears I won't be telling SMT where to shove their job this week.

14. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I wasn't and so didn't

15. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

£500 000 would go to my school to buy a TA for each year group for 5 years.
    Think I might invest some money in the school to ensure adequate heating etc. Replacing the windows would help. It's not like I'd miss £2million, is it?

16. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My husband and I have a plan for this eventuality. We would buy the large house overlooking our town and fill it with rescue greyhounds in need of homes. We would invite families to stay for the weekend and interact with their chosen dog. After the necessary home check they could adopt the dog and we could rescue another.

Once that was established we could do some travelling too.

17. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

I'd probably move to Canada! Oh yes, move to Canada.. BUT before that, travel the world!