1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sixties Fashion Exciting lesson!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by polly2, Mar 9, 2011.

1. polly2

polly2 New commenter

Hi, please please help a tired, grumpy, eating as I type, full of conjunctivitis (sp?) and cold stressed out teacher who just got the call today to say OFSTED in tomorrow (yes we are special measures). For some ludicrous reason I am planning history for the team - cool I thought but now I am brain dead. I have a few clips of fashions, and powerpoints to talk about fashions but short of that these are my ideas. Drawing their own design, collage (ltd resources), catalogue, timeline of sixties clothes but all seem dull and am struggling with differentiation of all things! Anyone got any wonderful ideas by any chance, we are so low on resources it hurts.
    Help!

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

How about making sixties clothes, boots, hats etc out of bin bags and carrier bags. Did this once and made the clothes on the 'model'. Prize for best outfit. It was a great activity

3. When I did the 1960s, we tiedyed our own t shirts (there are H + S issues here so you do have to be a little careful, but there are lots safe fabric paint)
    We designed them first to fit on paper dolls (perhaps have a t shirt template for less able / photos of examples?) I know you said that money/ resources is tight, so you probably couldn't stretch to t-shirts, but perhaps bandanas/headbands (all you would need is an old bedsheet?)
    We also made jewellery (clay peace signs / flowers etc that we treaded onto string/leather)
    Another idea might be using PVA glue on fabric as a simple 'batik' and drawing on 1960s designs.
    Seem to think there were lots of 60s clips on espresso, if you have this in your school?
    Hope that helps, good luck. x

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide