1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sixth form value added

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Trendy Art, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

Dear all,

Wonder if anyone can help. I have just been trying to find out how sixth form value added is calculated.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...8_Accountability_Measures_Technical_Guide.pdf

What I am looking for is where it states that students should be undertaking at least three A Levels or equivalents when the L3VA is calculated. I assume, for example, a student that has BBU should have the U grade calculated as part of their VA.

Does anyone know where I can find how this is calculated and if I have the right document?

2. floydee

floydee New commenter

Hi
    The L3VA is calculated at subject level by looking at a student's prior attainment at KS4 ( GCSE only for A'Level L3VA) and then comparing this to the attainment of students in similar bands. All students VA scores are then averaged to calculate a subject VA score. All subject VA scores are then divided by the number of students across the school to calculate the School L3VA, it is not a student level calculation.

The A'Level cohort L3VA is the value added across only your A'Level subjects, the Academic cohort L3VA will included the A'Levels with EPQ and Core maths. So all A'Level subjects have an individual VA calculation , if a student achieves a U then this will impact on the subject L3VA, all subjects are combined for you school L3VA. ( See page 70-72 in the technical guide).

It is important to remember that the DfE KS4-KS5 ready reckoner will calculate your subject VA scores but these are only available for the newly reformed qualifications that are deemed to be similar to the legacy qualifications or students have already sat these exams, if subjects do not fit this rule then the ready reckoner is not available. As per the Progress 8, the L3VA is a retrospective measure so you can only use the data from the previous cohort. The KS4-5 ready reckoners are now available on the DfE website using the 2017 cohort data.

The Best 3 A'Levels performance measure calculates an APE and by grade for all students completing 3 FTE A'Levels, if a student achieves a U this will affect the APS, if a student only takes 2 out of the 3 A'Levels the result is still divided by 3.

Hope this helps, I spend far to much time reading DfE technical guidance.

Trendy Art likes this.
  3. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

Thank you for taking the time to go through this. I have been looking at the IDSR and as it's replaced RAISEOnline there are some nuances like what you've mentioned to go through.