1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sixth Form Psych teacher wants to retrain as SEN teacher - what are the paths?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by DiogenesofSinope, Mar 15, 2011.

1. I've just applied for the EdPsych training course for the 3rd time. The first two times I was interviewed, last time I was even on the offer reserve list. This time I have not even secured an interview.
    I currently teach Psychology in a 6th Form and feel that the job does not involve me dealing with SEN. I would like to move into an SEN role both to improve my chances in EdPsych training interviews and because it is much closer to what I really want to do. If I am never going to train as an EdPsych, I would rather teach in an SEN capacity than in 6th Form.

I am not in the best state to read and understand lots of information regarding training / re-training. Considering I have not got QTS status, does anyone have any helpful ideas on what I can do to move over into rolls that involve dealing with SEN students in some capacity? Apologies for being vague but I just want to start putting a plan of action into place to get over my shock and disappointment. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

If you want to teach in a state school (mainstream or special) with pre 16 SEN pupils you will need QTS.