1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sixth form inspiration

Discussion in 'English' started by anon8315, Mar 20, 2011.

1. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Hi
    I just wondered if anyone would mind sharing some ideas of typical lesson plans with sixth form students. I'm conscious at the moment mine are very samey and dare I say, a bit dull.
    Inspiration is needed!
    x

2. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

It would probably help if we knew what you do at present.

My sixth form teaching varies a lot. My lower sixth group respond best to being talked to. My upper sixth group are brighter and have no interest in anything I have to say so I tend to make them do the work and then feedback. When they've realised they've put no effort in they tend to listen to what I have to say.

A sample lesson from tomorrow is going to go: discuss the storyline of The Glass Menagerie. Then complete a connections graph linking the characters in terms of 'love' (in its widest sense) - what sort of love is presented, find some quotes to back up. What other texts can they link it to that they have studied? How is this play different from other plays they've studied?

Feedback and go.

I'm generally rather uninspired with sixth form too.

3. <u>Activities:</u><u>Part 1:</u>1. Preparation for next lesson: Read and make notes on the character of Rochester. Focus particularly on pages 132-34, 149-50, 158-9, 168, 172, 363m 366-7, 497-8, 360-62, 363 and the gypsy scene.

4. <u>Activities:</u><u>Part 1:</u>1. Preparation for next lesson: Read and make notes on the character of Rochester. Focus particularly on pages 132-34, 149-50, 158-9, 168, 172, 363m 366-7, 497-8, 360-62, 363 and the gypsy scene.