1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sixth form enrichment ideas - any help greatly appreciated!!

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by cschulze, Jan 5, 2011.

1. I have been given Wednesday afternoons for sixth form enrichment time. During this time students get to look at UCAS, study skills, sport, work experience etc. All the things I'm
    Sure many sixth forms provide. In addition I am organising lecture style talks by various organisations and wondered If any of you could help with ideas. Either through suggesting subject areas or by providing names of volunteer organisations or companies who are willing to come in. I wanted to get someone in to talk about gap years and apprenticeships and would also like driving safety, health etc etc to be covered. But as this is my first year in post I have limited contacts at this time. Therefore any suggestions, ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

2. I have been given Wednesday afternoons for sixth form enrichment time. During this time students get to look at UCAS, study skills, sport, work experience etc. All the things I'm
    Sure many sixth forms provide. In addition I am organising lecture style talks by various organisations and wondered If any of you could help with ideas. Either through suggesting subject areas or by providing names of volunteer organisations or companies who are willing to come in. I wanted to get someone in to talk about gap years and apprenticeships and would also like driving safety, health etc etc to be covered. But as this is my first year in post I have limited contacts at this time. Therefore any suggestions, ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

3. naggin the nag

naggin the nag New commenter

Hello - why not look on the PSHE forum here? There are lots of good ideas there. Also, the West Midlands Fire Service do a course called 'Arrive Alive' which has a focus on road safety, not just about driving. Not sure if this is a local or national initiative. Unfortunately lots of budgets have been cut, reducing the number of visiting speakers who might be able to come in. We had a very interesting speaker from Trading Standards, who came to talk about consumer rights. Someone from CAB came in to talk about money management, budgeting etc for students going off to uni. The Samaritans provide good resources for schools and might come in to deliver.
    Depending on budget you might be able to get someone in to do sessions on self-defense or taster sessions in sports / dance. Have you asked the students what they would enjoy ?
    You may find some ideas on the Citizenship Foundatiohn website. Hope some of this helps

4. Really helpful. Many thanks.