1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Six useless foreign language teachers do

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by gianfrancoconti1966, Nov 14, 2015.

1. gianfrancoconti1966

gianfrancoconti1966 Occasional commenter

2. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

That title makes no sense and the link doesn't seem to work.

LearnersLabyrinth and Charleei like this.
  3. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

It's not in the right forum, but the link worked for me, and discussed some evidence-based practice, which I'm all for.

The title is just missing a word - it's about six useless things that languages teachers do, although several of them will apply to other subjects.

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Several things that apply to many subjects. The author will not go far because they do not believe in learning styles. The author also does not value "learning to learn" sessions or peer assessment by less advanced students. The author also has reservations about the creation of digital artefacts.

I did not realise I had written this article - I must have done it in my sleep!

5. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Isn't there some evidence that meta-cognition is an effective learning tool? I seem to recall that it scored well in Hattie's Visible Learning.

Interestingly, the learning support staff at my previous school were obsessed with learning styles, and no-one ever picked them up on it. I never thought to question them because it never occurred to me (having previously worked in the software industry) that something for which there's no evidence could embed itself so thoroughly, but now I've moved on my colleagues are happy to accept that learning styles don't exist.