1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Six things we learned from Justine Greening's grilling by MPs today

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Sep 14, 2016.

1. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

So did I. After years and years of "research" conducted by such supremely apolitical bodies such as the Centre for Policy Studies, I have a healthy scepticism towards such reports.

HelenREMfan likes this.
  2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I agree to some extent, although I didn't realise Germany's education system was so good that we need to emulate it. Can you post some evidence for this please?

3. needabreak

It becomes very complicated if we are looking at things philosophically or if we simply use our own experience or perceived experience of more suitable systems does it not?

4. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

The German economy

CraigCarterSmith likes this.
  5. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Each one of us has our own perceptions. But I recall the great, and greatly-missed, Ted Wragg making very short work of bodies such as the CPS.

My own perception is that Germany is what England was; and that the Germans are what the English used to be.

6. needabreak

Evidence for the assumption that their education is the best model to follow rather than just best for vocational skills in industry?

Do perceptions count?

Given your emphasis on the economy, you may be interested to see what the world economic forum has to say on the matter. But then again, you may not.

7. needabreak

8. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Germany is way ahead in many ways. 30 years ago when I was there, secondary school students were cycling to school on huge cycle paths, and people were recycling. We still haven't come anywhere near them in those areas.

slingshotsally likes this.
  9. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

No bucks, no Buck Rogers.

10. CedricDaniels

CedricDaniels Established commenter

But not noted for much else except alcoholism, school shootings and failed cellphone companies.

11. CedricDaniels

CedricDaniels Established commenter

Although there is limited support for grammars, it is greater amongst C2DEs the ABC1s.

12. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

If i could double like this, I would

13. needabreak

Don't you just love Capitalism? :rolleyes:

14. needabreak

Indeed and there should be a happy medium between them without state education mass producing factory fodder.

15. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

That's a different argument.

16. kareneliot

kareneliot Occasional commenter

She was elected by the voters of Maidenhead. We don't elect PMs like presidents.

peter12171 likes this.