1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Six Nations Time

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Oscillatingass, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

It is that time of year again. Anyone prepared to offer thoughts, suggestions, predictions for the tournament? I believe Ireland will win the Grand Slam without too many problems. Wales will finish second, England third, Scotland fourth, France fifth with the Italians bottom.
    Tonight should be a Welsh victory though the French have home advantage and the Welsh don't travel all that well.

burajda likes this.
  2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Ireland stuttered against France at the opening last year and almost blew it against the All Blacks as well as not being very convincing against Argentina. If Farrell gets gubbed it might be more of a match.

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Watched the England women just - excellent win.

4. Oscillatingass

Haven't the Centrally Contracted Irish lads had a bit of a rest recently while the other Nation's players have playing in their highly competitive club matches? This will undoubtedly help, not that any help is needed. "Only just" beating the ABs is not an achievement to be denigrated in my opinion and I am guessing the team who played Argentina contained few of the first choice players. Rugby can be unpredictable but the Irish look so capable in every area it is hard to imagine anything going wrong except for over confidence though you'd expect the coaching staff to make sure that is not an issue.

5. burajda

burajda Star commenter

England to win the Grand Slam I hope. My predictions for the 6 nations are always come to nothing. Ill stick my neck out for France to surprise us and win tonight.
    England
    Ireland
    France
    Wales
    Scotland
    Italy

6. Oscillatingass

I always "hope" England will win the Grand Slam but my hopes almost never reach fruition.:)

7. Oscillatingass

Excellent game for the neutral this evening though I must admit I thought my prediction had come unstuck at half time but thanks for the French propensity to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory the result turned out to be as expected.

8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The only just was due to bad decision making in the last couple of minutes.

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

What a dire match. Exciting though.

10. Oscillatingass

The conditions dictated the form of the game and certainly precluded expansive rugby but I certainly wouldn't describe it as "dire". I guess how one views this game depends on what one expects to see in an International rugby match. I wasn't expecting "quality".

11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It will become a far easier competition to win after Brexit when France and Ireland won't be able to take part.

silkywave and minnie me like this.
  12. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Even easier when Scotland leave. Perhaps Cornwall and the Isle of man can join.

silkywave, Dragonlady30 and minnie me like this.
  13. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I wanted France to win - disappointing. Already warned my husband not to start shouting at the TV if England fail to do the business - some hope o_O

Norsemaid likes this.
  14. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

I've had that very chat with my partner too. I was more brutal as I feel England will be thrashed so I have said that if England are losing and playing like numpties then the t v goes off ( because everyone will hear the wailing for miles around ) but if England are losing but doing their best it can stay on lol .
    To be completely fair he's not that bad and at times does have a point .
    I only watch to judge who has the best thighs - completely shallow as try as I might I don't really get the rules so in the circumstances it's the best I can do .

England v Ireland next . Good job I have a complicated knitting pattern to concentrate on . Not sure my nerves are up to it .

15. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Did I mention the swearing too ? :oops::confused:

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Out thought, out fought, out run.

17. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Excellent win by England today.
    Welsh win last night was incredible.
    Scotland v Italy was a lacklustre game.

lexus300 likes this.
  18. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

Well I have to say what a cracking match and a thoroughly enjoyable one .
    Well done England.

lexus300 likes this.
  19. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

Well I’m exhausted watchin all this rugby !
    Pretty fast stuff despite the rain last night. Got to feel sorry for all the Welsh supporters not able to get to the game in Paris, stuck because Cardiff and Bristol airports were closed because of snow.

20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Thanks to the vagaries of the TV schedules I missed most of the game yesterday. For the 20 minutes I saw I thought England totally dominated the game.

I've always had a bit of a theory that brilliant though Ireland have been for a couple of years they are a bit lightweight. Perhaps yesterday was a bit of a wake-up call for them.

Fantastic long penalty kick by Farrell though.

Norsemaid likes this.