1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

six figure grid references... a bit ....backwards

Discussion in 'Geography' started by daydarox, Feb 3, 2012.

1. I am a student teacher, currently doing my PDE in Ireland ( PGCE)
    I was teaching six figure grid references to Year 8's today (second years here) and I am not very good with numbers , and I ended up "teaching" them how to calculate the 3rd figure for the easting and northing backwards... I had a powerpoint prepared that showed everything the right way round and to keep me on track but the computer decided not to work today.. so I was left to my own devices and taught it backwards.. I will teach them the right way round on Monday but I was just wondering if any of you have any ideas of how to save face (a little anyway) and not look like a complete ***?
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Fortunately children can actually be quite forgiving.

I would just probably say something along the lines of 'so last lesson we looked a 6 figure grid references. Today we're going to continue with this' and leave it at that. If any of the pupils question you using a different method in this lesson, just tell them 'what we did last lesson was fine (provided of course it still gave them the correct answer), but this is the way you need to do it for your assessment/in exams etc to make sure you get the marks.'

3. I don't think it is a good idea to pretend that what you did last lesson was okay. The pupils will either work out for themselves that you got it wrong or they will be completely confused. I understand that it is daunting but I would simply tell them that you got it wrong. I have been in similar situations myself - we are all only human. I have always found that having a sense of humour about it and acknowledging that adults make mistakes too helps students accept it more. You could point out that 'this is a common mistakes that pupils make in exams too so how could we all think of a way to help us remember the correct way?' I know you will be concerned about losing their respect but if they sense you have got it wrong and daren't admit it, you are much more likely to lose face that way. Hope it goes well.