1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Six extra weeks in school from september?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by amay92661, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Hi everyone :) I just read on the tes website that the government has announced plans for PGCE students to spend an extra six weeks in schools from September 2012! While I think this is BRILLIANT (I start in September), I am also worried that my uni won't be ready in time and won't be able to provide high-quality placements etc. The report said that students at the Uni of Cumbria for example will have to spend time in secondary schools helping year sevens because there aren't enough primary places! Just wondered whether anyone else is concerned, or if you're just focussing on the positive of more time in school? (Which will be much better...) Any words of reassurance would also be appreciated!!

2. Hi there,

Please can you send me the link for this? I can't seem to find it.

I'm slightly worried, as I have been offered a place at Cumbria for Sept, but Primary distributed learning. I don't particularly fancy being in secondary school, although I guess year 7 wouldn't be too bad, it would be a little daunting!

What about you?

I would be happy to spend more time in schools, I do feel that for me its a great way to learn and I know through my volunteering, that experience makes me more confident.

What do you think about it?

3. Hi there :) Firstly, congratulations on getting on your PGCE course! Here is the link to the article...http://newteachers.tes.co.uk/news/universities-rush-redesign-primary-pgces-september/46222&s_cid=NQT_News_RES
    I think its a great move and while I am very excited about it, my concerns are that UEA (where I am studying) might not be able to find enough high-quality training placements and also that we will become overworked. (Don't get me wrong, I am not a lazy student at all, but having heard how intensive the course is and how we should be 'working until midnight most nights' and eat, sleep and breathing PGCE for 9 months, I worry about how the extra six weeks will fit into the equation and whether we will lose out on vital subject knowledge etc). I am sure that our providers will do the utmost to support us and sort out our programmes, I am just concerned that there is a SLIGHT possibility we may end up with badly organised programmes....the first year the course will cost 9k. I am sure everything will be fine, just wanted to know what others thought. Obviously, time in the classroom is the best way, and always will be the best way, to prepare for a career in teaching, so its essential to look at the positives I guess!