1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Situation in England.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mrjack, Jan 27, 2020.

1. mrjack

mrjack Occasional commenter

Was speaking to an ex colleague of mine over the weekend about the situation in England with these academies.
    He was telling me about his girlfriend who had to come back to blighty who is working for 24k in an academy, 60+ kids in a class, teachers wearing headsets and one months holidays a year.
    She is also an experienced teacher so should be on the upper pay spine.
    Is it really that bad in England now and what percentage of schools are academies these days ?
    If this is not a unique case these academies sound truly awful.
    Tragedy is the NQT's don't know any different, think it's acceptable and go with it as they don't know any different.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I'm sure there will be many views about academies (few of them good!) but worth noting that not all academies are bad and not all Local Authority maintained schools are good.

32% of primaries are academies, 74% of secondaries are academies. The rest are nearly all Local Authority maintained schools still.

Teachers in academies usually get the same holidays as LA schools - 13 weeks. Class of 60 and 1 month's holiday might, I suppose, have happened somewhere as it wouldn't actually be illegal but I've never heard of it. Sounds like a teaching 'urban myth', but someone may know something about it.

Being paid bottom of scale even though previously on UPS happens all too often I'm afraid, in LA schools as well as academies, since national pay scales were abolished in 2013. Schools no longer have to honour the pay point you were previously on.

3. mrjack

I can confirm what I have said is 100% correct. She is teaching the little ones, so they are used as a creche in the holidays. My mate works for BT and get's £36k a year with overtime. I'm surprised more teachers don't vote with their feet in England if conditions are that bad.

ToK-tastic likes this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You'd expect that to be a separate contract for creche/child care during holidays, not part of a teacher's job. Although Teachers might choose to do it of course as a holiday job, I know teachers who do. But that's their choice not an obligation. You know what you've been told but I still doubt any academy requires its teachers to work running a creche during school holidays.

TeacherMan19 likes this.
  5. worlo24

worlo24 New commenter

Sounds like she is being done over big time there. She should just move to another teaching position as the pay is ridiculously low for what she is doing and the academy are probably breaking the law with staff to children ratios. I would say her situation is very very rare. As with anywhere, you can good or bad schools regardless of whether they are local authority or academies so you have to be careful when you accept a job, actually what you are signing up for.

6. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Or she should speak up for herself, rather than being represented (without her consent) in a public forum by someone with a vague purpose.

24hours likes this.
  7. mrjack

"vague purpose" I am asking if this is the norm in England now. Nothing vague about it.

8. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

60+ kids in a class? What classroom would be big enough for that?

9. mrjack

I know, in a primary too, teaching with headsets.

10. TeacherMan19

Yeh, which teacher in England doesn't very quickly develop a very loud 'teacher voice'?

11. worlo24

worlo24 New commenter

This is defintely not the norm in England to answer the question. I work with lots of schools and the maximum number of pupils in a primary setting per class that I have seen is 33 and that was with a full time teaching assistant.

12. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

@mrjack when you say little ones do you mean nursery or reception age children?

13. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

My friend's son has just started at one of the 'enlightened' new secondary academies. Apparently SLT are very proud of the fact that there is no staff room and teachers must spend every break and lunch with the children, sat at allocated tables with them. They also really liked the daily after school homework club which is supervised obligatarily by teachers.

No....thank.....you

towncryer and ToK-tastic like this.
  14. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

No idea if what you write is true. People can be desperate in the short term and put up with that sort of nonsense but if she is doing it medium/long term more fool her.

Why work for one of these schools when there are excellent top drawer old school privates? I am Maths/Chemistry. Earn 50k but have responsibility for Oxbridge/MAT testing. Heavily subsidized world class education for son.1k a month joint into pension. School transport to and from work and meals. Teach some of the very brightest of their generation in stunning old buildings/grounds. As an experienced IB teacher I could earn more abroad but got fed up with what I seen on the "circuit" and perfectly happy where I am. Not all UK is awful.

Boardingmaster, worlo24 and mrjack like this.
  15. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

We had lecture theatres in a comp I worked in decades ago-I had a couple of big classes, but it certainly wasn't for every subject/lesson. I suppose OP might want to ask because s/he's considering her own future and wants to know if this is the norm (I certainly would have found it hard to believe that data/learning walks would be considered more important than trusting professional teachers, had you asked me 30 years ago).

16. Treesa

Treesa New commenter

17. amariB

amariB New commenter

Definitely not the norm. Especially if by ‘little ones’ you mean Early Years. And what are the headsets for? Surely they’re not expected to teach an EYFS class ‘from the front’ while they sit at desks?! Tell her to get out- there are many, many better schools!

18. TeacherMan19

It sounds like they might have an assembly like that but not an input. Little people wouldn't be able to sit on the chairs as they'd be too small for them.
    I've always been lucky with my schools though I guess.

19. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I’m not denying but I’m skeptical.
    Friend of a friend says...

20. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

60+ a class is absolutely not the norm. Appalling working conditions is