1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Situation in Dubai

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Timetofly, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

I've seen a job advertised this weekend for a job in Dubai offering 8.5-10k for someone with a pgce + 1 years experience. Single housing, health and return flight included but that's ridiculously low imo.

2. catherinefshr

catherinefshr New commenter

Im considering a move to Dubai. I have about 9 years primary teaching experience behind me- any tips?
    How easy is it to secure a role out there? Thanks

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

For some strange reason, a few misguided people on this TES forum seek the advice of a smelly old African animal.

Well, I have sent you one of those silly TES Conversation things.

4. claytie

claytie New commenter

Is 16500 AED a good wage in Abu Dhabi, then, for a very experienced teacher now?

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  5. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I was at a jobs fair in Dubai a few weeks ago, salary is not as good as it use to be in the good old days.

I was offered an immediate increase of 1000AED when I queried the 16500 figure I was offered. Didn't see many packages offering 15K at all for Experience or HoD.

But this was at a job fair with only second rate establishments attending, the top schools dont need to attend such cattle markets.

6. Mr_Frosty

I'd say it was very reasonable in the current market as a starting salary - depending on the housing situation and other benefits.

The only people I know on more than that here at the moment have been in their jobs for a number of years and had pay increases over that time. With the amount of schools offering circa 10k it's a big difference and some of the 10k schools only provide shared accommodation.

claytie likes this.
  7. the hippo

Yup, Mr_Frosty, there are still teachers who live the high life in the ME, I am sure. It helps if you just happen to teach Physics, of course.

The spread of cheapier and nastier schools is worrying though.

towncryer likes this.
  8. Mr_Frosty

It's probably not fair to say that all the cheaper schools are nastier, I'm sure no school wants to pay more than they have to. I'd say salaries are lower because so many people want to move here to teach and so many oil and gas Jobs have left so schools income is lower.

And even the lower salaries aren't that bad if you're early in your teaching career - if you're on MPS 4 or lower then 10k AED plus accommodation probably seems like a good deal - in the SE of England outside of London rent and council tax accounted for almost half my take home and left me with a lot less than 10k AED to live on.

9. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I heavily suspect that the salaries on offer in the ME and China are based on the UK pay scales converted in local currency.

In Shanghai pay seems to be based on 2500GBP/month gross as the starting to mid range salary.

As the value of the pound falls so does the local pay to keep it in the 2500GBP exchange rate level.

10. rednelly84

rednelly84 Occasional commenter

In the current climate, AED16500 is very good for a teacher. The starting salary for a teacher with 2 to 3 years at my school used to be AED13500. That has since decreased to AED9500.
    Do check though, and this an important point many miss, that your salary isn't split into Basic and Allowances. The reason for this is so that your End of Service benefit, or gratuity, is paid based on your basic salary. Check this very carefully. If it's not specified on your contract, ask for clarification of the breakdown. Otherwise, your gratuity isn't worth the paper it's written on.

11. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

There's no oil industry in Dubai now and there hasn't been for some time so how the UAE government can keep paying high salaries to Emiratis from Dubai I don't know.

12. J_Dean

J_Dean New commenter

As a single Primary teacher in Dubai and moving to Abu Dhabi with no dependents, I would say from my experience and my colleagues and ex colleagues the wages differ per school as follows:

Private school
    Primary teacher - 12000 - 14000 dhs per month.
    Primary with a role such as Year leader - 14000 - 16000 dhs.

Sheikh owned school
    Primary teacher - 16000 - 18000 dhs per month.

On top of this you receive a free apartment or alternatively around 60,000 - 90,000dhs accommodation allowance.

The negative comments regarding why you would teach in the UAE probably depend on what your priorities are. For me the simple reasons for staying in the UAE are:

Savings - In the time i have been here I have managed to save what would take me at least triple the time in the UK.

Travel - I am able to travel every Christmas, Easter and Summer to places such as: Maldives, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Philippines, Thailand, Bali, Singapore, Australia at the drop of a hat due to disposable income and location.

My worst weekends in UAE consist of- Sitting reading at a beach or pool.

UK Life - When I worked as a single primary teacher in the UK I could just about afford to keep my one bedroom apartment and Vauxhall Corsa paid for.

agcb256 and Mr_Frosty like this.
  13. Mr_Frosty

Are the Sheikh owned schools still really paying that much? I thought they were down to around 13.5-15k recently?

14. Powergnome3

Powergnome3 Occasional commenter

J_Dean has missed a really important section of schools - the not for profits - where 18,000 - 20,000k per month for a class teacher is still available, with some of these having 100% of this counting for their gratuity, and housing allowances of 90k for singles up to over 150k for married with kids. These are the best schools in the ME, will be looking to recruit the best staff, and have the best staff retention. When looking for a move to the ME, these should be the first port of call when it comes to aspirational places to work.

rednelly84 and Mr_Frosty like this.
  15. J_Dean

J_Dean New commenter

Hi Frosty,

Yes, Rashed School for Boys and Latifa, in Dubai, have very good financial packages still. And, as Powergnome states, the gratuity is excellent. Still, I am quite looking forward to picking up my gratuity for what I personally feel is just doing my job.

Nice to read comments from people who work in the UAE that can still see that there are good financial and lifestyle benefits.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  16. the hippo

Yes, I absolutely accept the truth and validity of all that Powergnome3 has said, but unfortunately there is one little fly in the ointment. Those schools that do indeed offer very competitive packages tend to have a lot of applicants for every single vacancy. And there will not be many vacancies, as all of the staff who are already there tend to stay for yonks. Oh dear!

17. Mr_Frosty

I agree - it's not perfect by a long shot but it's not as bad as many naysayers would have you believe. But I guess it depends where you're coming from - I was at an 'outstanding' school in the UK before here and I think the leadership team were pretty decent, but my line manager was awful - a brilliant teacher but a terrible HOD. So even when there is a lot of nonsense that occurs here my job is still 100% better than my last UK job and you only have to look at the 'workplace dilemmas' forum to see that many people could be in the same boat. Obviously if you're coming from a great environment and were on the UPS then it may not be quite the same but, in my opinion, you can have a great time/lifestyle and savings here even at what most people would consider a pretty average/middle/lower tier school.

Powergnome3 likes this.
  18. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

Yes, that's more worth the brouhaha. I don't see the obsession with Dubai - am I missing something?

dumbbells66 likes this.
  19. Mr_Frosty

Probably not. I think if you're a younger person then it's a very fashionable place, lots of fancy bars, restaurants, clubs, etc that you could never afford to go to back home as a teacher. Plus there's the yacht party type stuff and it's seen as pretty glamorous by many people and people still assume there's loads of money to be made - which isn't true for teachers so much, but if you're a lawyer or land a job in the oil or engineering industries you can make 50-70k a month and people look at expats earning that and think its the same for all of us.

Its a decent place to live though, you can do almost all the things people think you cant, drink, eat pork, etc - life is pretty easy and during the cooler months its a really nice lifestyle as most people have a pool. I think I would be just as happy in any major city though so unless you can get an offer you wont get elsewhere there's no real reason to put it on a pedestal in my opinion.

20. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

I' m in Dubai with my husband and have to agree with much of the above. We have a lifestyle that suits us and is very far from extravagant, we cook and eat at home at least six nights each week, own two ordinary cars and just make the most of the climate and shorter commute than we had in London. As the only teacher in the couple, I am not the one earning most of the dirhams, but I am on a decent wage which is comparable to my net pay as a deputy head in inner London.