1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Situation critical

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by LorelaiVictoria, Jan 30, 2012.

1. The following points should outline my thoughts...
    * Qualified in 2010, did lots of supply.
    * Did a term's induction from hell at a deprived school last year April-July, judged as 'not meeting requirements.' Spent most of the period in tears, suffering from anxiety and constant dread of going to school. Report was absolutely devastating, union got involved. The NTQ board were involved but essentially did naff all.
    * Felt so awful after it all that I couldn't even consider applying for jobs, went onto supply again. So September and October passed and no supply came about despite emailing and calling daily.
    * Applied for a TA post (L2, what I did BEFORE I qualified) - got it and started mid Nov. It barely covers the petrol necessary to get there and leaves me with mornings off. The supply agencies appear to have given up getting me anything, even saying that I should quit the TA role if I want to remain a teacher in future... ***?
    * My money is fast disappearing, my morale continues to be lost and I have absolutely no idea anymore. I know the next batch of jobs come out soon but I'm scared that I'll fail all over again.
    Just need some support really.

2. So sorry to read that MissHucks. This is the problem with doing induction through supply. I often don't think you get the same support as working directly through a school. I think that what happens next depends on how you feel about teaching. If you feel you want to carry on teaching you should go for it and apply for jobs directly. There are some supportive good schools out there. Otherwise you could just do a different job for a while and see if you are missing teaching!
    Good luck!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well, have a big cyberhug [​IMG]! There's lots of us is the same position, who do undertsand. As an unsuccessful return-to-teaching after family over 50 with 18 years of supply behind me, I've also been applying for TA/LSA/HLTA roles- but in my case also unsuccessfully!
    Yes I recently looked at a L1 TA role at a distance away and looked at petrol costs, which if they were to rise again, might mean I'd actually earn less than my I'd need to pay out!
    However, just as I start to give up, another job usually is advertised and I start all over again. Job-hunting season starts shortly. Try to stay positive- difficult I know, and keep 'plugging on'.

4. "My money is fast disappearing, my morale continues to be lost and I have absolutely no idea anymore. I know the next batch of jobs come out soon but I'm scared that I'll fail all over again."

You need to keep it together and try and keep an eye on the bigger picture. You are no good to anyone if you allow yourself to be overwhelmed. Bouncing off your overdraft and seemingly going from £10 in your wallet to a few coppers is no way to live. When you go for a job interview, you will be up against a load of students who don't know what the score is and come across fresh, confident and positive. By looking at the pennies in your wallet, knowing there is an X bill due, not having any credit on your phone, not being able to go out with your chums, watching them all disappear off into the sunset of success will not put you in interview or teaching successfully mode.

I remember (and I'm not proud to admit it) winding myself up into such a mess, I got an interview following one of my biblical applications and was in no state to go to it. I lost the grip on the bigger picture and hadn't got a clue why I bailed out. I just couldn't do it. The resulting self-abuse was not a positive thing either......

You need some help with your cash. You need to get some advice about this. Have a look at tax credits, or whatever other benefits you can get so you are not in this position. If you are scraping like hell and being miserable, you are due help. Speak to your boss about this and maybe go and deal with the people at the jobcentre. Go out of your way to go to a jobcentre in a nice area as you might stand a chance of getting treated like a human.

Once you have got the cash thing partially under control, that's the immediate dealt with and then you can move on to getting the future sorted. Knowing that at some point, it will come good, which it will.....it may not be teaching, but something will manifest itself..... you can get into a better state of mind to be successful. It's also good to talk about this with people who may otherwise nag you or continually comment "Haven't you got a job yet?" If you are in that state of mind, you can take glib comments in a very personal way.

I'm totally familiar with scraping the barrel so much, all I got in the end was wood shavings. It does get better, have a smile and try and fit in some quality of life in the meantime.

S

5. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

What subject are you and what age group.

Speak to your head and ask if you can team teach to help build your confidence, also ask if you can do the odd cover or supply lesson. If you still feel lacking confidence to push forward and still want to teach ..... get a refresher course where they will take you through your assessment targets. Sounds like working in a tough school you had to just survive every day and it is easy to get into the habit of high level assertive style of what we think is teaching but in reality it is survival classroom management. Unfortunately its stress from the start to finish of most lessons. I would have thought that your observer would have taken those conditions into account. BUT REMEMBER..... we never improve if we do not know where to improve........... so take the good critical advice and move forward..... REMEMBER ALSO you have got this far....and thats to be commended. Wish you luck

6. shamsh

shamsh Occasional commenter

Sorry to hear you've had such a horrible time. You don't say whether you're primary or secondary qualified or what type of qualification you did (PGCE/Degree/GTP), but look over your files from your qualification and remind yourself of what you can do well. There will be areas you need to work on, but everyone has these, and it is much easier to work on them in a longer term post.
    Register with several agencies and your county supply list if they have one. This means you have to send your CV to lots of schools and do a lot more leg work, but it works out financially better for the school and for you. Pester the agencies nicely.
    You must be doing something right to have got any job in this climate, and I have friends who are qualified teachers, who accepted TA jobs because it was more stable than supply, and then were offered some teaching hours when other members of staff went off sick or changed their job roles, so gently remind a sympathetic person in your school that you are actually a qualified teacher and are prepared to do some teaching as and when necessary. (Make sure you get paid appropriately.) A familiar face in the school is preferable to a new supply teacher that they don't know.
    You say that the TA job is only part-time. Use the rest of the school day to complete application forms. Get up early as if you were going to school for a full-time job and use the time to fill in applications, setting yourself a target of a certain number of applications a week, and make sure you arrange time to go for a swim/run/walk to relax.

Also remember that schools in more challenging circumstances, whether through poor leadership, difficult catchment area or a combination of the both are going to need a lot more supply, so the experiences you have in supply are not representative of most schools!

7. I teach primary age children. The term that I did was in KS1, and a shock to the system to the extent that I felt like an incompetent fool no matter what I did to try and improve.

Thank you all for the comments regarding supply induction, you may be right to suggest that it is not reflective of normal school teaching in terms of the support. I think I need to mentally get my head together and figure out a game plan to get me through the next few months.

A positive from the TA job is the fact that I do love working with those children, they're a year 4 class and so lovely!

Do you think it would be worth speaking to my current head about it? I haven't spoken to her about the circumstances of the term I had, part of the reason I took the job is so that it obliterates the need for the school in question to provide a reference. Or at least, I hope so.

8. I am secondary so take on board what my thoughts are or leave them as to your own judgement.
    In the early stages of your relationship with your new school as a TA. I would not in any way shape or form bring up any 'difficult experiences', with a previous school.
    I think best to establish yourself working with the children first, so the head of the school sees how you operate. Then maybe and only a big maybe, and only if invited, chat about previous experiences.
    Then be careful, do not do an offload of all the problems you experienced, it sounds weak and blaming.
    Hang on in there, build up the confidence.
    Its a new dawn!

9. shamsh

shamsh Occasional commenter

I agree that it would not be sensible to dwell on the difficult experiences that you have had. This is particularly important for your sanity! Focus on the more positive experiences you are having now. It is sometimes difficult being a TA in a class when you are also a qualified teacher as you might do things differently if you were the teacher, so it is a good thing if you both get on well.
    Do you have a hobby or interest that you could possibly offer as an after-school or lunchtime club that would give you another thing to add to your CV? My children go to Art-club after school with my son's Year 4 teacher and they love it as it is a bit less formal than normal lessons. Also what about PPA cover if you're in primary?