1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Site specific sculpture - Year 9 - Help please!

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by bebs21, May 8, 2007.

1. First off apologies for poor spelling, punctuation and grammar - in a bit of a rush!

Start new project with my year 9 on fri, site specific sculpture, in small groups, designing work for display on the school site.

I have them for 1 hour a week, small dept, limited resources..................does anyone have any suggestions for artists we could look at to really insipre them?

At the moment i'm thinking -
    Tony Cragg
    David Mach
    Andy Goldsworthy
    Anthony Gormley
    Perhaps cubist sculpture.......

I'm basically looking for ideas for that first lesson to hook them in!

What about someone who works with found materials - the kind that the kids can easily source outside school......?

Limitations - money and resources - indie school and don't have tech or woodwork so no tools etc.

Thanks everbody in advance xx

2. First off apologies for poor spelling, punctuation and grammar - in a bit of a rush!

Start new project with my year 9 on fri, site specific sculpture, in small groups, designing work for display on the school site.

I have them for 1 hour a week, small dept, limited resources..................does anyone have any suggestions for artists we could look at to really insipre them?

At the moment i'm thinking -
    Tony Cragg
    David Mach
    Andy Goldsworthy
    Anthony Gormley
    Perhaps cubist sculpture.......

I'm basically looking for ideas for that first lesson to hook them in!

What about someone who works with found materials - the kind that the kids can easily source outside school......?

Limitations - money and resources - indie school and don't have tech or woodwork so no tools etc.

Thanks everbody in advance xx

3. write to Gormley and also write to Andy Nash who will reply. Try Cas Holmes, she's got va great wewbsite and will reply too.

4. Gwen Heaney. Makes lovely brick sculptures for public art with mythical creatures as inspiration.

5. rouseau22

rouseau22 New commenter

Cornelia parkers work is superb. shes one of the 'new breed' of british sculptors from about 10-15 years ago. she made 'cold dark matter' at the Tate by blowing up a shed, then rehanging it.

her work, a building breathing ( dont quote me on the title) is site specific.
    google her and see her more interesting works with steamrolled silverware/instruments, silver coins, and wrapping things.- she makes work with found objects such as bricks and pieces of chalk found at the beach. one work is 'the edge of England'

Rachel whiteread recently made a site specific for the unilever series at the tate modern. she did that concrete house that she cast in the east end.

it might be nice to look at something made by someone other than a male artist

6. this comes a bit late i hope the lesson went well, I'd start by showing them a powerpoint of the artists you mentioned (all very good) and then tell them to think about (brain storm - spider diagram) all the things that relate to school (the environment that the work will be in). Raid skips and DT leftovers, canteen rubbish, supermarkets for carboard boxes etc bring it all in and get them to think about what the materials represent and how they can be put together to make something that describes the school environment. maybe some of the work could be perishable and this could be photographed over time like andy goldsworthy? good luck! Oh you could also look at people like Richard Long perhaps then they could just draw into the field with their shoes! ha ha, (nazca lines link?)

7. Hello, you could try Claes Oldenburgh. His work is full of fun. Also alexander Calder. Peter Randal Page. I am starting a similar project on Tuesday! Good luck with yours!