1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sister thread to the stingy one - what's the worst extravagance you have ever come across?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by seagirl, Jul 22, 2011.

1. The stingy thread seems to want to run and run - so it got me wondering - who do you know who is ridiculously extravagant? Who takes it to a shocking level?

For me it was the girl I used to live with when we were students, who had very little money for food etc, but every week bought herself a dozen red roses. She said it was to cheer herself up, but we all knew it was so she could look as if she had an admirer to impress people who visited the house. mad!

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

My ex-husband flew to Milan to buy his wedding suit. There and back in a day.
    I once spent £1,000 in less than 10 minutes on Bond Street (more than one shop!)
    OH spent £120 on a taxi Wednesday to Kinsa's house and back, just so he could have a few drinks when we got there! Yes, this is the same man who turned off the pump so I couldn't have any hot water Tuesday morning. A perplexing character my OH!

3. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Perplexing or flipping selfish Belle?

4. joli2

joli2 New commenter

I knew a pupil who flew to New York for her prom dress.

5. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

My OH. No particular one thing, but generally. Bless him, he is trying to economise now I'm jobless.
    Two y3 boys were flown to Paris for their wedding guest outfits. Goodness knows what extravagance the bride and groom &c went to.

6. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

The extravagance of certain celebrities, footballers and the like, drives me a bit mad. However, what really gets me is that when pis.sed, some of them choose to drive and endanger others in the process.
    Why not choose then to be extravagant and pay for a cab or driver to take you home?
    I've never understood this.

7. BelleDuJour

Neither....just barking mad Richie! But in many other ways he is a very generous man with money.

8. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Logic and excessive alcohol consumption are not easy bed fellows.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

There's a difference between extravagance that you can afford and profligacy that you can't afford.

10. bizent

bizent Lead commenter

My friend always foots the bill for birthday meals. It's a big extravagent gesture which i used to think was really generous until he confided in me one night that he had maxed out 15 credit cards and was on the verge of bankruptcy. To make matters worse he had borrowed against his dad's business.....watch this space...

11. BelleDuJour

Wise words indeed Seren.
    The thing is, I can understand OH turning the water pump off when we don't need it. To understand fully you'd need to know the layout of the house. I just hadn't banked on him doing it in the morning, and on reflection he has agreed it was rather daft.
    As regards the taxi well, we can afford it. The thing is, it was his turn to drive so it was his decision to pay for a taxi. I might have driven myself, had I not worked all that day and the previous day, and cooked a 6 course dinner the night before and had a late night! In reality I can thing of much better ways of spending £120 (thinking shoes/lunch out/handbag/new dress/stuff for my horse/pamper day....sigh!) than on a taxi! Oh well, each to his/her own.

12. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Awww, lovely Mr Belle. [​IMG]

13. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

My own little extravagence is to have regular beauty treatments. My favourites are facials and pretty much any form of massage. I do, however, have a very reliable friend who runs a salon inside my gym; she does excellent monthly deals for treatments. I treat myself once per month to a treatment with her, but sometimes go to see another friend for the occasional treatments too.
    I figure that, since I don't drink that much, don't smoke, don't buy tons of clothes and shoes and don't really spend all that much on going out on the town, I deserve one little extravagence.
    Then again, I consider myself extravagant if I happen to buy the expensive plum tomatoes instead of cherry ones. I had to have a word with myself the other day, "Don't be ridiculous, Eva, the plum ones are 50p more and it's not as if you are hard-up for 50p...just buy the ones you LIKE!".

Eva, brought up in the working class, during Thatcher's "glorious years" in the 80s.

14. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I can't control myself around handbags.

I try to watch my pennies and will often go for supermarket own-brand stuff because it's 15p cheaper etc, but I have recently spent £145 on a handbag. My OH told me off, as did my mother. But she can't really talk as she bought 2 handbags when she couldn't decide between them. Must be in the genes!

15. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

I am terrible. I get acrylic powder nails done every 4 weeks or so, hair every 8 weeks and regularly go for massages, waxing and now facials too. I have also been on quite a spree recently with clothes as I felt I wanted to be more "grown up"and not have everything I own look like I was still a student. Bags are also a particular weakness... I am hopeless! But like others, I don't really drink, don't have kids or a mortgage yet and don't have a car. I do like eating out however!
    But, similar to cinnamonsquare, I will get cross if I have to pay a higher price for brand name products at the supermarket and then think nothing of blowing loads on a handbag!

16. wordsworth

wordsworth Senior commenter

I go mad on ebay. I convince myself i've got loads of bargains, but i sort of know it's not really true[​IMG]

17. Is it just me or does anyone else find BDJ's posts a bit nauseating? All the previous stuff about horses, big barn conversions and now this over-indulgent spending?
    Do you watch the news, DDJ? There are millions of people starving as we post.

18. wordsworth

wordsworth Senior commenter

I am no longer a tes addict. I'm sure i could have come up with some fairly good pyschobabble about why post it all here if i were still a regular.

19. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Each to their own, I suppose. If Belle's situation is such that she and her husband can afford this sort of thing, so be it.
    That said, however wealthy one may be, I don't agree in throwing money away senselessly.

20. Highschooler, would you be able to send me some stuff to send to The Gambia? Eg sewing threads, mobile phones, stationery etc. PM me for more info. Belle has given me lots of stuff in the past. Don't read her posts if you don't like what you read. She is lucky to have a bit of money, just as I am, by dint of my birthdate, to have had my OAP and bus pass when I was 60. Peace and love. xx