1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SISRA

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by shy anne, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Does anyone else use SISRA to analyse progress data? We have had it for a while but I findit difficult to find my way around it, I never seem to find the same data twice! Perhaps it is too comprehensive, or maybe I am useless at data! I prefer to use SIMs marksheets that I can export into Excel and then filter to SEN or whatever I am looking at. But SLT are now insisting we all use SISRA and the Administrator of it is keeping a record of when we log in and then berating anyone who has not used it!!

2. Does anyone else use SISRA to analyse progress data? We have had it for a while but I findit difficult to find my way around it, I never seem to find the same data twice! Perhaps it is too comprehensive, or maybe I am useless at data! I prefer to use SIMs marksheets that I can export into Excel and then filter to SEN or whatever I am looking at. But SLT are now insisting we all use SISRA and the Administrator of it is keeping a record of when we log in and then berating anyone who has not used it!!

3. We looked at Sisra but we went for 4matrix which was less expensive and does a lot more. Sisra was good for producing graphs but there are only so many graphs you need and it doesn't do much else. If you are being forced to use it that is a bad sign. My colleagues wouldn't be without 4matrix. It produces all the reports we need automatically. Nothing stopping you using both.

4. We've now expanded our popular Primary tracking system to Secondary - happy to give you a free trial if you're still trying to find something easy-to-use. e-mail me (james@pupilasset.com) or go to pupilasset.com to have a look.The new system covers:

• Import from SIMS/Integris/etc - or manual entry of results
    • Automatic calculation of APS/Capped APS, 5A*-C, English Bac, 5A*C inc.Maths+English etc. for ANY group
    • KeyStage 3 Attainment & Progress breakdowns (2 levels, num 6+, etc) inherited from the Primary Pupil*Asset
    • Really pretty (and easily understood) graphical representations!
    • Wholistic Pupil profiles for all children
    Any questions you can always contact me here on TES too... hope that's helpful!

5. Hi there,
    sorry to read that you are having trouble using SISRA. When you first log into SISRA you should be faced with links to SISRA Report Guides for both KS3 and KS4. If you click the appropriate link you are presented with reports written for different roles and should find reports for Teachers, HoDs etc. Choose the report that best suits your role and it should give you a pretty good idea of what to find where. The reports are only a couple of pages long and should also provide you with some valuable tips like how to use the filters etc.
    I'm sorry to hear that your SLT are forcing you to use SISRA without providing you with any appropriate training, however the guides mentioned above should get you on the right track.
    You are right in that SISRA is very comprehensive. We are constantly enhancing the product to keep inline with both DfE requirements and the needs of our customer base, with any additional features added free of charge.
    With regards to the suggestion that SISRA 'only does graphs'; I should point out that less than 50% of the reports are graph based and any graph view can be 'flipped' to a colour coded table view (the report guides will show you how to do this but it's simply a click of the mouse).
    It should also be noted that SISRA covers KS3,4 & 5, which many of our competitors don't.

Best Wishes [​IMG]

Jon Williams
    IT Director

6. Can you tell me how much Sisra costs?
    One school I know who uses it says it costs about £5000 to set up and £1500 each year.
    This seems expensive for something that makes graphs and tables.

7. 4matrix was about £800 when we bought it. Great for the price.

8. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

Our academy introduced SISRA a while back, we were given a demonstration and it seemed very good, but we were not shown any alternatives.
    It is costly and seems inaccurate, data has to be transferred from SIMS and then bears little relation to the original data, especially in terms of class lists. Never sure whether this is the person inputting the data, or the system itself, but it doesn't do all that we were led to believe. 4matrix has now been mentioned and hopefully it will do more for us than SISRA has - which we've now been told not to use.

9. I don't know SISRA but our school bought a package called DataSec which I think cost us about £6000.
    It turned out to be buggy and incomplete and we wasted a lot of time trying to make it do what we wanted it to.
    It basically just crunched our exam data and produced fairly simple graphs, not much better than you can do with Excel.

Last year we bought 4Matrix and I first became aware of it when the data manager started sending me these fabulous reports on every subject. I asked her how she had produced them and she said the program did it automatically. Now we have put it across the network so that everyone can use it, and I really have to say that it is transforming how we use data. The feature that makes the difference is that it shows up differences between teaching groups - and teachers!
    After seeing money down the drain on the DataSec product we have been amazed at how cheap 4Matrix was for all the features that it comes with at no extra charge.
    I have also found the company very responsive to ideas. I have been looking for ways to create a SEF that has more numerical information and the company said it would create a SEF framework tool for us. Great service!

10. Hi there,
    I think the person who told you the prices was somewhat mis-informed. We have never charged anything like a 4 figure setup fee?
    Our fees have remained the same for the last 2 years and although we have no plans to increase them any time soon I do not feel it would be appropriate for me to publish them on a forum.
    Please contact us directly if you would like to know our current fees.
    Regards
    Jon
    IT Director
    SISRA Online

11. Unfortunately, if the data you put into it is inaccurate, then the information that you retrieve from it would also be inaccurate. Like SISRA, I'm sure 4matrix is not a magic box that will fix errors in your school data or mistakes made by the person 'setting up' the system - I would recommend that your MIS system is kept up to date before you use this data as the basis for analysis within the school.
    As for SISRA, we have data auditing processes built in which try to identify where things may have been setup incorrectly, but it obviously would not be able to tell you that Joe Bloggs has not been put into the correct form or teaching group.
    Finally, your comment that reads " it doesn't do all that we were led to believe" - It does if it's setup correctly with accurate data. We have 50,000+ users across 100s of schools in the UK who would testify to this. Many of our sales are generated by word of mouth from school to school and with many orders arriving daily I would say that many schools are very happy with our service.
    Feel free to browse our References page on the www.sisraonline.com website and read the comments by your peers at other schools.
    Best Regards
    Jon

12. We bought a subscription to SISRA in a moment of madness because it looked really good, but I do think it is expensive for what it does. Can't remember what we paid but it was in the thousands. Most of the charts are actually fairly obvious or not really very useful. Better than spreadsheet printouts but you can soon outgrow something like this when you find out what you really need to do with your data.
    The two things that schools really need is a good progress-tracking system and to make good use of RaiseOnline. I got a great Excel application from a network meeting that I went to that does everything I need for tracking progress. RaiseOnline gives me everything else I need. It is a good idea to go on a course in using it if you get a chance.

13. Charts play a part in the analysis that SISRA offers, but they are by no means all it produces. Looking through the various KS3 and KS4 reports and views, I would say there are currently approximately 64 different ways to view your data (not including the various filters that you can use) in each 'view'. Out of those 64 different views, only 17 are chart views.
    Also, tracking (of both attainment and progress) can be done in SISRA, allowing multiple sets of assessments to be viewed/compared simultaneously. KS3 Tracking was launched a couple of months ago and KS4 Tracking has been available since March 2011. All existing customers get all upgrades to SISRA free of charge. If you are still a customer (after the 'moment of madness') we would be happy to arrange for a technician to walk you through the new functionality. Just contact us via www.sisraonline.com
    I agree that RaiseOnline is very useful, however you should really be analysing Exam Performance within the school much earlier than the following January/February. Services like SISRA allow you to start your analysis within minutes of uploading the results into the system (for example, on results day itself). We'd be happy to put people in touch with many schools who's data managers are home by 9.30 on results day after publishing fully analysable results (including threshold and EBacc figures)
    I would suggest anyone reading this who hasn't seen SISRA recently should take advantage of our free demonstrations, rather than taking the word of an anonymous forum poster who probably hasn't seen the product for 12 months or more (if at all).
    Regards
    Jon

14. I visit this forum because I want to read how teachers are doing assessment, what they are using to help them and their views on value for money. I think companies should limit themselves to providing factual information, starting with costs

15. I visit this forum because I want to read how teachers are doing assessment, what they are using to help them and their views on value for money. I think companies should limit themselves to providing factual information, starting with costs.

16. I would just like to offer a thought to this thread. I am working with some school leaders in an academies network and one of the current themes is good practice in using data. A potential weakness to watch out for is having lots of data but not doing enough with it. Think about what you will say when an inspector asks how you have used your data, and what has resulted from it. There are many data managers and assistant heads who do like their pretty graphs and spreadsheets, but It is quality rather quantity that matters here, and what counts is being able to show how your data systems have improved learning.

17. We use Primary Progress Toolkit too and have done for several years. It makes inoutting of data really easy for class teachers and we can get one with understanding what it means.
    There are no fancy bits - the software just tells you what you need to know and if you use it alongside Raise and any data your LA give you, pretty much any questions you have, or are asked, about chievement can be answered from entry to Reception up to Year 6.
    The ability to use it with FFT is a real positive for target setting.
    The software has developed over the time we have used it and the service from the company is personal, quick and very supportive.
    Recommended!

18. cjmlynch

cjmlynch New commenter

We are a 2 form entry Infant & Nursery school and have been using Primary Progress Toolkit for 3 years now. I echo all said by Brodetskyhead. An easy and strightforward way to analyse data without getting bogged down with too much information. We have just come out of OFSTED with 'Outstanding' and Toolkit did exactly what we needed it to do and more. The guys that run the site are fab and they are at the end of a phone line or an email away to answer any problems and listen to any suggestions that can be added. Can't recommend highly enough. Checkout the website.

19. Hi. I read these forums all the time but don't often comment.
    Just to say thanks for posting reviews of software that will help us with assessment.
    Please, please put what you paid for it too, because companies don't say what things cost until you have been through their long presentations. I want to know what something will cost us before thinking about it further. Very troubled by prices of many thousands of pounds for something that produces graphs, however nice they are. Primary Progress sounds the sort of thing we should be encouraging. A good price and good reviews. Anyone like to say more about what they use for secondary? I am looking for something to track progress and help with our target setting. Anyone able to comment on what they use - and say how much it cost?

20. This thread seems to have been derailed somewhat with primary school chatter when the initial focus was SISRA and the analysis of data in secondary schools.
    To get things back on track, we've been using SISRA in my school for over 4 years now and it's been completely invaluable to me as a data manager, and to our SLT and staff as an analysis tool. It has saved me hours of work and makes me look great on results day when the figures are ready for the head to view by the time she gets in ;)