1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sirius rising!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by albertdog, May 16, 2012.

1. I am sorry to disappoint those of you who opening up this post in anticipation of seeing something on the gay biking scene. I wish only two things; firstly to announce that I am now well enough to tap out one-handed on the keyboard of a laptop and, secondly and most importantly, to thank, from the bottom of my heart, everyone who has sent me their best wishes. I was acutely touched by your expressions of sympathy and concern, both before and after my daughter’s posting. From what I have read, it seems that I have actually been missed; something that makes an old man happy! I also apologise if my last, melancholic posting caused consternation among those of you who interpreted it as a suicide note. In line with the old, court room joke, I did not know that I had died until I woke up, next morning; or rather that part of me had, temporarily, gone into hibernation. Sometime in the early hours, I remember waking up and feeling rather strange, but I must have gone back to sleep as I was awoken by my ‘home help’ lady, who’s day it was to visit. (Yes, I know. It was a stroke of luck, before anyone says it.) Other than having ‘irrigated’ the bed, I felt no unusual discomfort; it was just that most of one side of me did not seem to being doing anything. When I tried to move or to move arm or leg, each responded with the remoteness and uncertainty of motion of one of those machines at an old-fashioned amusement arcade, in which you try and grab a bar of chocolate with a miniature crane. I was carted off to the Stroke Unit at Hillingdon Hospital for a few weeks, and thence to the adjacent Alderbourne for a few more. Of these two places I cannot speak highly enough; the care that I received was exemplary. I left the latter-named Unit last week and I am now being given shelter a succour by my daughter. It is good to be back!

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Fantastic to see you back!
    Good to see your unique sense of humour wasn't affected!
    Every hope and good wish that the recovery continues so well!

3. Thank you, Bethannie. It will be no surprise to yo to know that my favourite wireless programme is Ed Reardon's Week.

4. Good to hear you are doing well, and great to have you back!

5. I don't know you albertdog, but I just wanted to say welcome back and I am glad that you are on the road to recovery. Your sense of humour shines through and we definitely need that around here! So keep up the one finger tapping, it's definitely better than daytime TV, which I am convinced is part of a back to work plan, instigated by the government! It's soo bad someone must be planning it that way!

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

That is fantastic news Albertdog. So good to see you back! [​IMG]

7. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Brilliant! I'm so glad you're feeling well enough to post.
    [​IMG]

8. You are indeed ...
    "Again renewed by the vessels of Isis

You're ready to fly."
    Good to see you back old chap.

9. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Well I am very impressed with the length of the post you have managed to bash out using one finger!
    Great to see you back and to know that you are on the road to recovery.
    All the very best!

10. Very pleased to see you are back. Best of luck with your physical recovery - obviously nothing wrong with your mental faculties!

11. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Great that you are on the mend.Missed you.
    loads of love[​IMG]

12. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Look forward to your continued posting.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Good to hear from you, albertdog - and glad to hear you're getting better.
    Having survived a massive heart attack last year I suspect you're being swamped with advice on what to do/ not do/ eat/ not eat/ drink/ not drink etc Do as you're told!

14. Good to have you back!!
    Take care of yourself!!

15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Welcome back! I'm glad you have lost nothing of your style.

16. angiebabe

angiebabe Occasional commenter

Oh well done for coming back with such a brilliant post. I agree with Arched Eyebrow, it was really illuminating to have your recollections of what happened to you.
    Onwards and upwards - may progress be all that it should be.[​IMG]

17. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Welcome back and thank you for another engaging post. I am another fan of your writing style.

18. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

I've often wondered how many people give a damn about the person behind a username. Some of us bond easily, whether or not we agree, some will never bond and there's a whole raft of posters who post occasionally, talk sense or amuse us and drift back into the ether.
    The thing is, they are all people wanting to talk to us, and I've been heartilly cheered, not only by the good news that Albert is on the mend, but from the goodwill that's being expressed to him.
    People slip of the radar from time to time, and if it's someone I'm familar with, I usualy wonder if they are ok. We are all mortal after all, but we are part of an online community and I think it's brilliant to find that it's possible to care about the welfare of someone you've never met and only know about from their postings.
    What can I say to you, Albertdog? I'm absolutely carp at being empathetic. I've tried to imagine what it would be like for me if I had a stroke, and I seriously don't want to go there.
    I know it must be frusrating trying to type with one hand. I'm sure you'll appreciate that you'll be forgiven for typos and non-capitalisation and everything else. There's no need to struggle, just post.
    I'll say again, I'm over the moon to learn you are recovering. Best of luck, mate, and for Heaven's sake ask if you think there's something we could possibly to help wiith.

19. anteater

anteater New commenter

Welcome back, albert.
    I agree with model maker's lovely post.