1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sirens

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mangleworzle, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I've heard more police car sirens in the last two weeks than I have in the last 6 months if not longer.

Are they getting more pro-active at apprehending ne'er-do-wells or is there possibly a chance that they put them on to let us know they are around at the moment? There's a lot fewer cars on the road and so it would seem less reason to put the siren on when driving through our village, yet they do so more than ever.

Am I imagining it? Anyone else noticed?

Jolly_Roger15 likes this.
  2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Where I live we rarely see the police, but Mr L has noticed them driving around / past , so they must have brought in extra manpower. No sirens though.

needabreak and Jamvic like this.
  3. DrLinus

DrLinus Established commenter

I have noticed a decrease but I would not be surprised if regional increases were due to regional policies on challenging drivers and pedestrians who dare to be out of their houses.

4. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

The village was full of police a couple of weeks ago. Not seen any since. We obviously got our visits in early! I tell a lie, a police car passed me on the road when I was on my bike. I would say that there have been a lot fewer sirens than normal. Must all be at yours, Mangle.

Jamvic and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

Perhaps the time to start worrying about the current lockdown is when a police car stops outside your home and its occupants proceed to entertain you.:)

needabreak likes this.
  6. Mangleworzle

Mmmm, interesting responses. There have definitely been more police cars driving around, I haven't been out the front much, I mowed the lawn and cut the hedge the other day out there, I see one about 50% of the time I go outside probably. Was talking to an allotment neighbour who said when she goes to visit her parents in Bedford to deliver food and supplies there are police everywhere.

I've not heard of anyone being stopped while out though. The local pub had a visit making sure it was closed and that their takeaway service was just that with no-one coming in and online or phone orders only.

Seems like our local police response is to be seen and heard. I'm pretty certain they just put the sirens on as a reminder, they're soon out of the village so don't need to pretend for long.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

We hear them quite a bit but we have a fair bit of dual carriageway around us... and from the roar of the engines I'd guess some people are taking advantage of the lighter traffic to see what their cars can do...

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I have to confess that I haven't heard a siren for ages, apart from those that ambulances have. It it possible that your DNA is linked to someone who served with Odyseus, @Mangleworzle and you're genetically programmed to be more alert to them than the rest of us are?

9. Mangleworzle

I'm getting fed up with the running and hiding reflex tbh.

10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Perhaps the police are more visible on empty streets? Also with so few cars on the roads, there are proportionally more police cars.

11. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

@Mangleworzle : I have heard quite a few police sirens recently, and a couple of police cars speeding along, siren whirring and blue lights flashing.

12. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I have heard a lot of sirens but couldn't say to which service they belonged. Presumed it was ambulance.

13. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

No more sirens than usual but the police helicopter has been flying round more in the last couple of weeks.

Jamvic likes this.
  14. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I suspect that they may have been freed up from nonessential paperwork so that they can be out and about. It would be nice to think there might be less crime too with lockdown. Also as there isnt the need to massively police chucking out time in the city centres at the moment, maybe they are able to spread the numbers out across the other shifts.

Jamvic likes this.
  15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

London suburb, noticeably more sirens, although cannot tell whether police or ambulance.

We commented on it this afternoon, why so much noise when so little traffic.

Keep safe, everyone

Jamvic, Lara mfl 05 and guinnesspuss like this.
  16. DrLinus

You too.

Jamvic, guinnesspuss and TheoGriff like this.
  17. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

So many sirens being heard because of the clearer air quality and less traffic noise perhaps?

18. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Definitely fewer ambulances. People not calling 999 so much?

19. DrLinus

I think I heard on the news that fewer people are arriving in casualty departments with heart attacks.

Which might be good news, if people are having fewer heart attacks.

20. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

People might be calling ambulances only in genuine cases of emergency now-I've seen fewer of those about. I'd say the number of police cars has stayed the same, fire engines slightly down. Fewer accidents as few drivers on the roads?
    I worry if things continue into the summer there'll be more police needed :(