1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sir Michael Wilshaw says....

Discussion in 'Education news' started by JessicaRabbit1, Feb 26, 2016.

1. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

Seems he is at odds with the government over the amount of teachers leaving to work overseas:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35660457

'Sir Michael also said there was a need to "talk up" the profession and highlight the "nobility of teaching" and how it can transform lives'

Oh now he says this.

It's 3am and I can't sleep. I can't go to work tomorrow because my youngest is poorly and I need to stay home with him. All I can think about is 1) what my Head will be thinking of me and 2) all the work I will try and catch up on during my unexpected 'day off'. Oh, and 3) how much I will need to sort out on my return.

I am jealous of those teachers that can leave the UK and work abroad. I have a friend that works in the US and tells me that her Head thinks she and other UK teachers are simply amazing. Here, she was constantly criticized and made to feel rubbish. There, they are desperate to keep her. She's doing nothing differently.She has a class of parents who buy her presents at every opportunity (they have 'Teacher Days' there where the parents club together to buy presents for staff). At Christmas, she received a Tiffany voucher.

I don't want Tiffany vouchers. I just want to feel appreciated by those that employ me.

Yes, Sir Michael - there is a need to 'talk up' the profession. It needs to start with us.

2. watermelongirl65

watermelongirl65 New commenter

When I read what he said it made coffee come out of my nose. The bloody cheek of that man!

TCSC47 and delnon like this.
  3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Waste of good coffee!
    The man seems to have a split personality!
    Where I work now pays well below mainstream rates, but I am professionally happier than for years, and feel constantly appreciated.

4. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

"A good head would never be loved by his or her staff", he added: "If anyone says to you that staff morale is at an all-time low, then you know you are doing something right." - Sir Michael Wilshaw, Head of OFSTED.
    Obviously they are doing something right! Very, very right.
    What I don't understand, is that they are clearly doing things right, so why are there so many negative threads on these forums? It's beyond me! : )

5. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

And after thirty years of constant reforms and punishments, education is still not good enough.

Shouldn't OFTWIT and the government be in Special Measures? I volunteer, sir!

Landofla and TEA2111 like this.
  6. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

I have just realised that the fool who first reported the above quote, made by Sir Michael Wilshaw (current Head of OFSTED) obviously misquoted him. I suspect that what was really said was not that "they are doing something right", but "Obviously they are doing something extremely right wing".
    However, I could be mistaken of course, because no sane, caring human being in charge of inspecting a caring profession, like Education would ever make such a nasty statement ... would they?

7. watermelongirl65

So, the teachers leaving the UK must absolutely adore their head and their morale must be sky high? They're leaving to be demoralised by overseas heads? Wake up and smell the misery! No wonder he's gone all quiet when asked about why teachers are leaving

TEA2111 likes this.
  8. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

And isn't it revealing that he talks about handcuffs to restrain - I mean retain - teachers?

Landofla likes this.
  9. watermelongirl65

"Bring on the shackles!" He cries. Isn't it enough that we've had the (metaphorical) beatings and torture that now we need to be restrained-retained?

Landofla likes this.
  10. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Wilshaw has no idea what he is talking about. He walks and talks like a politician - he is a politician. He is going and like the previous labour government is leaving the proverbial note (no money left) no idea what to do so I'm leaving it to the new person to sort out.
    Young teachers have the mobility and inclination to go and work abroad for tax free salaries, often free accommodation, medical care and other benefits; these are fairly standard and have been for a decade or more so this is not the reason why newly qualified teachers go abroad - they now know what it is like to work in our state schools and they don't like what they see. With older, experienced teachers leaving and newly qualified teachers not entering state education I cannot see how any financial package in this country will ever recruit and retain teachers with this current government, OFSTED and SLT culture.

I'm afraid this juggernaut is going to crash and burn and I am concerned what this will mean for our education system in the future - going to cost so much to put right not sure the tax payer will take the medicine.

eljefeb90 likes this.
  11. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Excellent post. There IS a crisis and a lack of recognition on the part of the DfE.

12. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

He doesn't need handcuffs. The restraints are already in place --that's why teachers are leaving MIchael

I went (but not abroad) because I was stopped from doing the job I loved and was trained for.

eljefeb90, delnon and FrankWolley like this.
  13. Iftilsi

Iftilsi New commenter

Lot of Muslim teachers, both experienced or newly qualified prefer to go to Middle East or other Asian countries to teach because they face lot of discrimination in state schools.

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2016
  14. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Verbosity is the enemy of persuasion

15. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

The trolls, the trolls!

This thread is now dead. Please do not feed the trolls.

delnon likes this.
  16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

And then they come back quickly when they realise that their fellow arabic muslims regard them as second class citizens and they experience worse discrimination that anything they would get in the UK.

17. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

Taught overseas for ten years before coming to teach in the UK, and YES, I felt very much more appreciated by my students and parents than I have here. In fact, it has been quite a shock how much teachers are expected to do here with little acknowledgement or recognition from parents. I

Scintillant, delnon and Landofla like this.
  18. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

I too am one of those teachers who left to teach abroad and I too can tell you many a story of the wonderful things parents did to show their appreciation and support. I can tell you about my busy social agenda and the countless places and people I enjoyed seeing. I can also tell you how I left school at 5pm and how I managed to do all my marking and planning during school hours without dipping into my lunch hour. In all my years abroad I didn't belong to (or ever need to) a union.

That was last year.

This year I came back to the UK. This year I can tell you the exact opposite.

The only thing that keeps people teaching in the UK can be found teaching anywhere in the world: children.

Scintillant, TEA2111 and delnon like this.
  19. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

20. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Sir Michael Wilshaw says: "Talk to the hand." and "La-la-la, I can't hear you! La-la-la!"