1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sir David Attenborough blasts EU over 'silly' interference in UK affairs

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

You mean there weren't people "who don't speak our language" telling us what price we had to charge for tomatoes?

It's almost like it's nonsense,.

2. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Here is the Indie link: (Couldn't access the Telegraph)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...u-remainer-brexiteer-referendum-a9072516.html

Here are some bits omitted from the Telegraph quote in the OP, which give a slightly different 'shade' to the headline imo

''The broadcaster said he thought the British political system had got itself into an “absurd” mess and also referred to current Brexit disputes as “ridiculous”.

Sir David also expressed his concern at the risk of returning to the dark days of fascism in the 1930s and 1940s.

He suggested people were “losing reason” and “becoming enraged” and hoped they remembered “the lunacy that overtook Europe” during the period.

“We had German Jewish refugees living in our house throughout the war,” he said. “When I see mobs … mobs of people are a very, very ugly sight.”

3. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

If you check the Telegraph, you will notice that I posted all that I could see too. (I don't subscribe to the Telegraph). At that time I could see nothing else in the media, so I was not being selective.

My point was not what Attenborough said, but "Is he right to comment or should he stick to matters biological and ecological?"

Or didn't you notice that bit? o_O

5. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

That's why I posted:

....referring to the fact that these 'bits' had not appeared in The Telegraph's report, as posted in the opening post.

I can see, however, that I could have made that clearer.

Yes, I did notice that bit.

Only one post on the whole thread has acknowledged 'that bit', and yet you choose to pick me up on it?:rolleyes:

Most odd.

CraigCarterSmith likes this.
  6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Victim mentality? :rolleyes:

You were the only one who suggested there were "some bits omitted from the Telegraph quote in the OP, which give a slightly different 'shade' to the headline"

I was clarifying that point.

7. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

Africa isn' an amo a continent made up of many countries, of which many have either 100% tariff free access to the EU (often asymetrically allowed to protect their own markets) through either trade deals, or other schemes such as GSP or EBA.

What country did you have in mind that gets charged '20% to 30% tariffs on tomatoes?

8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

You need to look in detail to see that many goods are excluded.

Take a look at pages 4 and 5 of the EU EPA for West Africa (which applies to 17 countries)
    https://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2017/november/tradoc_156409.pdf:

Products not liberalised (most currently at 20% or 35% on the current external tariff)

beef, swine, sheep meat, chicken, turkey meat, frozen fish (except some species e.g. tuna),
    prepared or preserved fish (incl. tuna), milk, not concentrated, milk in solid form (in package < 25 kg), cheese, tomatoes, tomato paste, potatoes (except seed potatoes), onions, carrots, peas and beans, apples ... the list goes on and on and on, including almost anything a European family would want to include in their weekly shop.

9. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

Some African countries tomato production, but not 'African tomatoes'; Nigeria has an established tomato growing industry with a large home market, to the point where demand means they have to import tomato paste. Kenya, who the EU charges 0% tariffs on tomatoes, has less domestic demand, so the export market won't distort the domestic economy as much as it would it Nigeria.

10. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

This is the core of the matter. Whether or nor people had the right impression of what the EU was doing, the impression was there. If it was wrong, the EU should have put its case better and dispelled the myths (it did try, but obviously not very well or many people wouldn’t have voted the way they did).

I don’t see why he shouldn’t comment. So long as he states it is his opinion and it’s not his area of expertise...

11. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

Yep it's the EU's fault we made up lies about em.........give me strength :rolleyes:

12. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Tariffs on tomatoes (including cherry tomatoes) of West African countries:

Benin, 0%
    Burkina Faso, 0%
    Cape Verde, 12-14.4%
    The Gambia, 0%
    Ghana, 0%
    Guinea, 0%
    Guinea-Bissau, 0%
    Ivory Coast, 0%
    Liberia, 0%
    Mali, 0%
    Mauritania, 0%
    Niger, 0%
    Nigeria, 12-14.4%
    Senegal, 0%
    Sierra Leone, 0%
    Togo, 0%

From the EU Market Access Database.

Those at 0% are because they are classified as part of the EU's Generalised Scheme of Preferences aimed at helping developing countries export to the EU market.

Other products are similar (Cape Verde gets 0% on carrots but Nigeria is 10.10% )

*edit in* The report referenced does say - products not liberalised, currently at 0, 10, 20 or 35 % under CET (most at 20 or 35%) but these are for products going from the EU to West Africa.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    blue451 and Nanook_rubs_it like this.
  13. peter12171

Not what I said. If people had that impression (rightly or wrongly) then it should have been disabused effectively. That wasn’t done, and people continued in their beliefs.

To put it in a school context, if parents and students were spreading rumours that a teacher was teaching the wrong curriculum, the teacher would make sure that the facts were given to the parents and students clearly. If they didn’t, the rumours would continue and get worse, with the potential that parents would withdraw students from the school.

14. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

Missing the point you said it was the EU's responsibility to do this

As for your Context

so you are arguing that if the "rumours" got so strong that a backlash - social media or otherwise fell on the head of the teacher causing untold WRS, possible medical or professional complications then its the fault of the Teacher to not have tried hard enough to dispel such rumous?

You are absolving all responsibility from those who started the rumours

15. peter12171

Not absolving them from blame at all, just saying that anybody in that situation would do their damnedest to get the facts out there. It is the fault of both parties (I probably haven’t been as clear as I should have been on that).

16. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

An Audi A6? Sorry Scintillant, your credentials as an Eco Warrior are now shot to pieces. I would have thought an electric car or better still a bicycle would be more appropriate.;)

17. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Maybe it was a postcard (the paper size)!

18. xmal

xmal Established commenter

Commission regulation 2257/94 decreed that bananas in general should be “free from malformation or abnormal curvature”
    So fact... in fact. Despite the decree being in black and white and in the public domain some people are so deluded that they can't accept it as fact. It is as if, for some, the EU is a cult that cannot be criticised.

Here's a list of EU laws, fact and myth:
    https://www.businessinsider.com/eu-...-show-their-cleavage-when-serving-customers-5