1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sir David Attenborough blasts EU over 'silly' interference in UK affairs

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Aug 21, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Sir David Attenborough has said that many people in the UK are "fed up" with the European Union over its "silly" interference in British affairs.

In a wide-ranging interview with Italian newspaper La Repubblica, the naturalist and broadcaster said the EU might not have paid enough attention to what people cared about and had allowed itself to do things that irritate people.

While some people in South America and Africa "are faced with hideous problems, meanwhile we are occupied with these silly squabbles about Brexit", he added.

"I think that the irritation of the ways in which the European community has interfered with people's lives on silly levels or silly issues has irritated a lot of people...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...ough-blasts-eu-silly-interference-uk-affairs/

Is he right to comment or should he stick to matters biological and ecological?

install likes this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Hard to tell which side he falls on there.

Seems to be a mix of both... echoes the proBrexit line about EU interference while ( rightly ) highlighting global issues of much more profound importance.

les25paul and nomad like this.
  3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Well said Sir David.

install, peter12171 and les25paul like this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh yes sorry forgot to address...

Yes he is entitled to comment... but as he is no more an expert on the EU than the rest of us... we can read his comment as such.

BelleDuJour and nomad like this.
  5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Does he believe the Daily Mail type nonsense about straight bananas, and sausages having to be called "low content meat tubes" or whatever. A lot of good stuff comes out of the EU. I mean where would all the middle class types get their Audis and BMWs from?

6. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I can't access the article. Does he give examples of these "things that irritate people"?

Yes, they gave me my A6

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

8. Scintillant

9. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Says it all really!

10. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

I can't read it all behind the Tgraph paywall thingy.

He's perfectly entitled to speak out, but does he give any examples of where the EU has interfered in what he believes to be silly ways?

Edited to add, sorry, should have read whole thread first. Scintillant already asked the Q.

‘I think that the irritation of the ways in which the European community has interfered with people’s lives on silly levels or silly issues has irritated a lot of people who don’t actually understand what the advantages and the disadvantages are.

Ho hum.

cissy3 likes this.
  11. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I wonder if it is a reference to the EU tomato crisis. Perfectly good tomatoes were being ploughed into the fields in Belgium last summer because the price had dropped below the cost of production, and deliberate gluts from Germany and the Netherlands also clogged the market. - shades of the wine lakes and butter mountains that stained the EU CAP for years. I could be wrong, but Attenborough does mention the hideous problems faced by people in Africa (whom the EU often penalizes with tariffs to protect EU farmers) in the same interview. African tomatoes suffer from 20% to 35% tariffs, and reductions in the rates have generally been excluded from the EU trade agreements with Africa.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  12. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

The silliest news item I recall was about a UK manufacturer of rocking horses not being able to sell them because they were bigger than the EU specification allowed. Not sure if it was the EU that stated all Melton Mowbray pork pies had to be made in Melton Mowbray: should the same apply to bakewell tart, Eton mess and Yorkshire puddings ? Then the christmas chestnut that Advocat could not be made in the UK - it must be called Egg Nog instead ( Snowballs I say).

nomad likes this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Protectionist trade policies damaging African economies and then we all act confused and shocked when they try to cross the Med

blue451 likes this.
  14. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

The MM pork pies have protected status. It is an EU law, but we applied for the status (which they argued about for a long time I think).

The European Committee for Standardisation, which is a non-EU body, set a non-mandatory height standard for rocking toys. The British Standards Insitute are a member of the body and agreed with it.

I've not seen anything about advocaat having PDO/PDI status though.

15. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

The IMF/World Bank (never remember the distinction) is also to blame for this, loans given by them to developing countries oblige them to open up their own markets and prevent or limit what subsidies/tariffs they can apply. Makes them ripe for exploitation by the developed world.

Put simply, World Bank loans are not aid to developing countries, they're handouts to international companies from wealthy countries dressed up as aid.

lanokia likes this.
  16. Scintillant

Did they* tell us how much to sell tomatoes at?

*"someone over there who doesn't speak their language"

17. florian gassmann

Some of the designations are undoubtedly weird. Armagh Bramley Apples, for example, must have been grown in the Archdiocese of Armagh, while Fenland Celery can only be grown in specific parishes within Cambridgeshire and Norfolk (plus 5 desingated parishes in the Suffolk Brecklands).

I also see that while Double Goucester cheese is not protected, while Single Gloucester is (the difference being the number of times a day the cows are milked).

18. florian gassmann

I don't think any EU country was allowed to buy the Belgian tomatoes - they were simply ploughed back into the soil unsold. Had member states been allowed to buy them, the price of tomatoes would have plunged - and we can't have that.

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Indeed... tariffs should really be for weaker economies to protect their developing industries in the face of global competition from developed economies.

The EU should have zero tariffs.... as should the USA and to a point China...

Instead the weakest are exposed to unfair exploitation.

20. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

There are ways round these things.
    There is a village in Chile which renamed itself so that it could sell its own Pisco labelled as D.O.