1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SIP for performance management

Discussion in 'Governors' started by happy40, Sep 21, 2011.

1. I am a CoG at a school. Obviously they have got rid of school improvement partners however I understand we have a duty to have one at the head teachers performance management. One way to do this that has been suggested is having another teacher from the area act in the role for the HT performance management and then our head do the same at the other heads PM. Would this be acceptable? Thanks in anticipation of advice

2. I am a CoG at a school. Obviously they have got rid of school improvement partners however I understand we have a duty to have one at the head teachers performance management. One way to do this that has been suggested is having another teacher from the area act in the role for the HT performance management and then our head do the same at the other heads PM. Would this be acceptable? Thanks in anticipation of advice

3. Being in roughly the same position as you, I eagerly await some advice. [​IMG]

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

We've still got a SIP ...

5. do you pay for the SIP services we could purchase a SIP service. thinking about finances

6. hi Zeberdie who have you requested advice from?

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Now SIPs have gone the legal requirement is that "the governing body shall appoint an external adviser for the purposes of providing it with advice and support in relation to the management and review of the performance of the head teacher". DfE told me that they didn't intend to lay down any requirements on the qualifications of the EA and it was up to GBs to decide who they wanted as EA.

It would be unwise to impose a EA that the HT objected to, although technically the HT's agreement is not required.

Appointing a teacher from another school sounds an odd thing to do. What relevant experience or qualifications would they have to advise you?

Re SIPs, what has been abolished is the legal requirement of the LA to appoint one to every school. There's nothing to stop a school buying in a SIP of their own choosing, whether from the LA or elsewhere, and many schools have.

8. Rott Weiler is pretty spot on.
    LAs charges for SIP time can seem quite expensive; I know my LA charges are disgraceful. An independent SIP might offer a less expensive option. The alternative of using another Headteacher is quite common in my area; rather a case of "you do mine and I'll do yours".
    However, if your school is causing concern or in an Ofsted category you will have no choice but to use the SIP that the LA gives you.

9. Thanks for all your advice

10. Hi Rott Weiler these are my concerns that head might want an easy ride and we wouldn't get impartial advice

11. IIRC in the very early days of PM headteachers were used in the same way SIPs are now.

12. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I don't recall that tom. Before SIPs there was a national system run by CEA (on behalf of the DfE) of External Advisers who were nationally accredited. Our EAs at that time were mostly ex-LA staff although no doubt some were HTs or ex-HTs, but their appointment wasn't 'arranged' by our school's head . That started around 1996 or 97 and I didn't think there was any national HT PM system before that.

13. I think that we intend to buy SIP-like advice anyway as we have a good relationship with our Ex-SIP. However having chaired the headteacher's pm meeting for 7 out of the last 10 years, I am not sure if there has been any real benefit other than some advice on precise wording of objectives! I suppose it helps that i have been a senior manager and also a trade union rep so have wide experience of pm and its pitfalls!

14. Sorry for the delay. Any one here on the forum really. We still have a SIP service of sorts, but i am not sure how long that situation will exist as the LA is cutting services across the board, especially as more and more schools convert to Academies.

15. I quite agree Reilloc and I have never seen much benefit, but as i understand it, GBs have no choice - we have to have an external consultant of some sort. If anyone knows different please advise.

16. Some good advice and links here:
    http://clerktogovernors.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/appointing-an-external-adviser

17. There are some of us out there who are ex heads who have a huge experience of HTPM both as EAs for CEA and SIPs who are working privately, costing much less than Local Authority employees. As I headteacher I always valued the impartiality that external advisers had.

18. ulutoo

ulutoo New commenter

Our LA is still supposed to be providing a service but seems to be struggling as it has lost all of it's experienced SIPs. The one who was supposed to come see us deferred doing so as he hadn't received sufficient training or something!
    Some of us had mixed feeling about out last SIP as we didn't fully trust his impartiality, ie we felt he was too far 'pally' with the HT and wasn't being objective enough - it felt like he was the HT's advocate (as opposed to the school's).

19. The SIP is no more supposed to be your advocate than the Headteacher's. To suggest he is an advocate for governors misunderstands the role.
    Impariality is the key point.