1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sinusitis

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lucyrose50, Jan 8, 2019.

1. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

Having never even known anything about sinusitis until a few years ago, I seem to have become a fairly regular sufferer (I had my tonsils out after a lifetime of chronic tonsillitis, and now seem to get sinusitis instead!). Sometimes it can last for weeks, on and off, and I have great difficulty getting any treatment for it because doctors tend to just say I've got a cold and send me packing. It causes awful headaches, as severe as migraines, plus pain across my cheekbones, congestion and sometimes voice loss. I'm really sick of it!
    Does anyone have any suggestions for ways to avoid it, or things they've done to relieve sinusitis symptoms? Sudafed "sinus pressure and pain" tablets help with the headache for a couple of hours, and putting one of those freezer packs across my forehead and eyes gives a lot of relief, but that's only practical when I'm at home. I've also had some relief from a nasal spray called Avamys. Any other recommendations/advice?

2. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

As a preventative treatment I use salt water washes. There are various things you can buy that either squirt the solution or pour it. But you can snort it from a cupped hand. It IS hidious but better than the pain of sinutitis. (I too only got it once my tonsils were removed.)

3. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

I reckon it's still preferable to tonsillitis, if that's the deal I've got to accept!
    Thanks for the suggestion, it sounds horrid but I'm willing to try anything.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I got it last year during the winter. This year I started drinking a lot of extra water and it has helped. I also massage my face and there are various techniques demonstrated on you tube. I think it did help too. Mine didn't really clear up until the spring last year.

5. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

6. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Sterimar is good but quite expensive in comparison to a tub of Saxa ;)

7. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I do find the Sudafed tablets give some relief; they help with the headache and facial pain. I don't use nasal sprays; don't know if it's true, but someone once told me they can have a 'boomerang' effect - it will improve for a short while, then come back even worse! I find steam inhalations give some respite, especially with a few drops of eucalyptus oil. If I've had it for three weeks or more (which I do sometimes in winter), my GP prescribes antibiotics - but I'm never sure if they clear it up or if it just gets better on its own eventually.

I do have a colleague who had a 'sinus washout' once in hospital, but I am NEVER going there! I'm pretty tough, but I felt quite faint when he was telling me all the gory details!

8. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Agree with the Sudafed and the steam inhalations as above.

I used to suffer horribly as a child but now it's just once in a while with a cold. It's miserable though and you have my sympathies.

9. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

Sudafed spray does "deblock" instantly and is the only thing that really does work to get rid of that totally bunged u feeling for me. However, as @sunshineneeded says, there can be a rebound effect- but i find I can use to for say 5 or 6 days with no issues.

10. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Decongestants don't work at all for me. I use a saline spray in my nose and gargle with saltwater. My sinusitis is usually caused by my allergies to perfumes. I can feel my nose getting irritated and blocked and my head start to hurt as soon as I encounter anything that sets me off. If I can't get away from the trigger I take a Benadryl, the fast acting ones, and usually that's enough to stop anything worse happening. But if I don't stop the irritation and swelling quickly then I often end up with a sinus infection, which is really annoying! I've never found anything that helped once an infection has taken hold, other than saline sprays, and paracetamol for the pain, and a good hot curry!

11. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

If you find a cure, let me know! Poor Mr Dunty is a slave to his. He's had a sore and blocked ear since before Christmas, his jaw now hurts, and he's having difficulty eating and speaking. That's on top of the headaches and blocked sinuses. Just awful. It affects everything.

He's been on a spray, which has done nothing, and he's been given antibiotics today.

If they don't sort it, then it's an ENT referral.

Then we have Spring, and the joy of hayfever to look forward to!

12. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Cut dairy out of your diet. I used to get chronic sinusitis and cut dairy out about 10 years ago. I know instantly if I've unknowingly eaten dairy - instant sinusitis the next day.

13. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

That's interesting! Thanks. I'll tell him.