1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sinking....fast!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by mackemem, Oct 6, 2015.

1. mackemem

mackemem New commenter

Evening,

After teaching for 3 years my contract was ended, I struggled with short term placements and then supply. After a serious bout of illness I am at a stage in my career where I want to make a change but keep a foot in education. My subjects are art and textiles (degree and masters) and I am based in the North West.

I love working in Education and feel a change of setting would help-I need to do something quickly as I am losing my confidence and belief in the whole thing. I am willing to take a pay cut. Having worked in a deprived area with a number of SEN and vulnerable children I know I have an interest in pastoral and working in other settings than secondary education.

Any thoughts would be welcome!!

2. blueskies31

blueskies31 Occasional commenter

What about training to be an art therapist?

3. mackemem

mackemem New commenter

I have looked into that but money wise it is not an option at present. perhaps I am worrying too much about taking something short term that will help in the long term. Thanks though.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo @mackemem

It is hard for me to give you something specific, as I don't have much knowledge of careers outside education.

However I do have this document giving ideas for jobs that build on your skills and experience in teaching.

I hope you find it useful. I have another one too, but only one can be loaded at a time. hang on, next one coming!

Attached Files:

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Here it is

Attached Files:

6. mackemem

mackemem New commenter

thank you Theo for both of these! I feel like my hand is being forced into leaving the profession. There are few art roles in schools in my area so I am trying to think outside the box! I will read through these and decide on what to do next. thanks again, Em

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing Thumbs-Up emoticon.)