1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

(Single) Teachers and a Puppy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by carrie_caz18, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Hi
    Has anyone expereinced having a new puppy and working full time, but lives alone so has no-one to share the walking/attention/cleaning up?
    I have done lots of research on the different breeds, training and housebreaking and I will be hiring someone to walk her during the day.
    However, I am a little concerned about the evenings. I will put aside time for walks and playtime, but I will also need time to mark books and plan lessons!
    I was just wondering if anyone had gone through this and what they did with pup whilst working at home! Playpen? Crate? Sat in the study with you? Marked with pup by your side?
    How much time do you spend with your pup compared to working?
    Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, as it's my only concern about getting a little companion
    Many thanks
    Cat

2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

You clearly have a life that isn't suitable for having a dog, let alone a puppy, get a cat instead.

3. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

aye, agreed. if you're concerned about making time for the puppy, then you don't have time for one.

4. I agree.
    Leaving any dog, let alone a puppy, alone for an entire day is just not a good idea. He wont have the standard of time and attention that he needs, regardless of how much you give him in the evenings. He'd be alone for a good 10 hours a day and that just isn't fair. He's likely to grow up with behavioural problems.
    Sorry for ruining the dream but its true :( I think the only time it would really work is if you have someone who can check him and give him some time during the day, or you work part time yourself.
    If you also like cats, that would be a much much better option. They can be just as affectionate and loving but require much less time.

5. cherryaimless

cherryaimless New commenter

Agree entirely. Get a cat. Or a cactus.

6. Alternativley get an older dog (or two so they can be company for each other) and have a dog flap fitted so they can come and go as they please.

I would suggest not getting a puppy if it's going to be left on its own a lot.

7. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Think of the puppy's needs rather than yours. Become a volunteer dog walker for a while and see how that fits around your time.
    You can always foster dogs (Cinnamon Trust) or look after them for owners in your holidays.

8. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

We got two dogs when our old one died, as we knew that there was a chance they might be on their own for at least 6 hours a day during term time.
    They were puppies when we got them (brothers from same litter) and apart from being a bit destructive and boisterous (we got them at the start of the summer holidays) they kept each other company. Even though they used to fight a lot, they still curled up together to sleep at night.

9. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

I recently went to the RSPCA to look at dogs, I too live alone and work full time. They interviewed me and given the hours I would be out (including the fact I work 5 mins away and could come home at lunchtime to let it out and fed it) they advised me to get an older dog.
    It is not fair on the animal to get a puppy, they need a lot of time and attention and leaving it in a crate, no matter how big, all day is just unfair. When I was 19 my ex and I had a rottie puppy and we both worked full time, he still has her and she survived it but she also eat an entire lino floor when left in the kitchen. When we split up he bought a crate and kept her in there, which I was not happy about.
    Dogs are very sociable and need loads of time when they are little. Even if you waited until summer hols and could spend the full 6 weeks with them I would suggest getting an older rescue dog that has been used to being left alone for hours at a time, even then it is not ideal.
    You also have to consider the days when you may have to work later, or the times you may want/need to be away for a night. A dog is a massive responsibility and a puppy is that x10. I see whereyou are coming from, I too would love a dog but it just would not be fair for me to have one.
    Have you considered a cat? Or an older rescue dog?

10. I tend to think - and its just my own opinion - that having a puppy/ dog is just like having a baby/child.
    - requires a great deal of time, commitment and money.
    ....... could your lifestyle and income cope with a baby/child?
    The answer will give you a fair idea about dog owning.