1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Single teachers abroad - summer holidays

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by TeacherMan19, Jan 17, 2020.

1. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

My school says that in China the tax rules are it must be a return flight to your home (passport) country with a stop of no more than 48 hours in order to claim it back. That's enough to do a city trip (we did Frankfurt at Christmas) but no more than that really.

norwichred - knowing where you are, Egypt would be a good shout for a week or so, especially Hurghada (nice beaches, day trip to Luxor possible) and you can then get an Easyjet flight direct to the UK rather than go back to Q8 before heading off again.

2. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

Not sure your school are telling the truth. Or maybe misinformed? Anywho, that's not the case in my experience and for other colleagues.

3. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

@TeacherMan19 we get the benefit paid tax free - other schools which allow flights to anywhere etc I know have it taxed, so maybe that's the difference.

4. february31st

february31st Established commenter

My flight allowance in China is anywhere in the world as long as you can hand in an appropriate fapiao.

5. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

Ah yeh. That sounds like a Chinese way of doing things! Ours is a fapiao that you hand in. So I'm guessing the school just take it off their tax bill.