1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Single teachers abroad - summer holidays

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by TeacherMan19, Jan 17, 2020.

1. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

I don't know what to do over summer. I don't really like travelling alone and I don't want to go back to my home country for any extended period - if at all. I don't want to sit in my apartment all Summer so I'm a bit stuck.

What do other people in a similar situation do over the long holidays?

2. mas_o_menos

mas_o_menos New commenter

Are there other single people in your school you can travel with? Or even other couples? Depends how friendly you are with people, a friend of mine recently traveled with another couple over Christmas. They did a lot of the day-to-day things separately though.

I just took the plunge and travelled alone for my first two years abroad. You always meet people whilst travelling and lots of people now do it. Sometimes it is nice to have time alone!

3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Plenty of activity type holidays you can book yourself with a group of people. Try a scuba diving holiday for a couple of weeks and gain your PADI Open Water certificate, go on the African Safari or a walking holiday in the jungles of South America.

bonxie likes this.
  4. TeacherMan19

Unfortunately everyone likes to go home. I think it's just me that's not too bothered for it. It might be that I take the plunge and do at least a portion of it on my own. I've basically tried all the different variations of holidays with different demographics of people. Just never for the summer holidays. It's long and a lot of teachers like to go 'home'.
    Thanks for your suggestions, I'll have to have a serious think.

5. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

I break it up...yes for a single it can be a long time if you don’t have much in the way of family to go back to.

Fly off around 4-7 days after break up (gives me time to do stuff where I live)
    Do some sort of group tour/activity holiday for a week or two
    Solo for a week or two (normally cities or beach relaxation)
    UK to see family or friends for a week or two
    Then maybe a short solo trip to another location on the way back to my o/seas country.

Takes a bit of planning to put the flights together but I try to do it en route so to speak.

So one summer: started in China, flew to Finland and did a tour. Then to UK for a week (return flight was Shanghai - UK but it was stopping in Finland so I arranged a layover). Then took an easy jet flight to Barcelona. Did Barcelona and Valencia and then a beach. Flew back to the UK from Alicante to pick up my return leg. Met up with a friend for a night out in Manchester. Then on the way home I stopped off again in Finland and scooted over to St Petersburg with a group tour. Back to China.

In other words...book the long haul and arrange a stop over. Then book cheap charters or train or boat from there to do something. Had some great trips doing that. Romania, Austria, Turkey, ME, India....etc

mermy and bonxie like this.
  6. Figmo

Figmo New commenter

What area of the world are you currently in?

7. TeacherMan19

Yeh I've just been checking out flights for multiple stops. Flying back to the UK and then flying back with a few stops. And get a majority of that as my return flight

8. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Yep...exactly what I do. Stopover on my paid for uk return flight.

9. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

Where are you in the world? There are many companies that do tours where you join a group. E.g. sign up to a two week tour of Egypt or Morocco. If you are a hiking sort of person, do a Camino in Spain - from two weeks to two months, the adventures of a lifetime and a great balance between walking on your own and meeting others. Volunteer in a completely different environment e.g. Indian,slums Nepalese, Bangladeshi slums or poor areas in SE Asia. Buy a two week JR train pass and zip all over Japan. Book up on a skiing course, or Scuba course, or cooking course or anything course. Or do all of the above! One day, you will drop dead. No time for navel staring or feeling sorry for yourself! Personally, I much prefer to travel alone, because you meet far more different people than when you travel with others, and when you do want to be on your own or do something different, you can.

mermy and rouxx like this.
  10. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

Ohhh, I love my long summer holidays alone! Travelling alone is great - you will meet people as you go if that's what you want and you never have to fit in with anyone else's plans. And a week or two in your own flat, a holiday-at-home can also work wonders in helping you to feel like your current city is home.

At the moment my holidays have to be taken up with visits home owing to illness in the family, but under normal circumstances it would be a week at Christmas, a couple in the summer, and the rest spent travelling.

Enjoy it while you can!

ToK-tastic and rouxx like this.
  11. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

Depends on where you are and what you're into.

I did a 4-week intensive language course where I am, which meant I met with a load of different travellers to the country I am in and did some fun things in the area that were outside my usual routine.

Arranging some kind of tour (I've done 2-week adventure tours in the past as well) can be interesting, it means you join a group and make connections that way, while also having a goal of some description.

Hiking can also work well if there are any hotspots in your area because you can plan to be by yourself while also connecting with others in hostels etc.

It really depends on your interests and travel style. Nowadays, I enjoy being more sedate and static, so the language course was useful and fun, while I also slept in my own bed every night. When I was younger, moving around to a tour schedule and ticking off sights/locations was frantic and fun.

rouxx likes this.
  12. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

In some countries, like China, there is a strong likelihood of picking up summer teaching appointments. Earn some extra cash. Or do this as a volunteer with groups working in remote and rural areas. Push the boundaries of your teaching experience, meet other professionals and hone one's craft. Doing something different is like a holiday for the mind. [But, this assumes one really likes teaching.]

13. TeacherMan19

Asia. But I've done many of the countries already. Aus and New Zealand will be winter. Next step is ME and India

14. TeacherMan19

Not really after more teaching. Do extra during term times so it'll be nice to have a rest. I'll definitely use the time for travelling of some sort when I manage to work out what I really want.
    Gathering my inspiration from everyone on here.

15. GeordieKC

GeordieKC Occasional commenter

Check the school rules for what you can do - just including your home city once may be enough, in which case you can "open-jaw" the long haul flight. That is fly to the UK but fly back from somewhere else in Europe, using budget airlines, trains and/or hire cars to bridge the gap.

As well as a stop over, look at options for additional flights from the hub airport of the airline, the cost of an additional return flight from that hub can be minimal.

Whilst I am very comfortable travelling by myself, if you want to opt for activities where you will meet people - safaris, live-aboard dive boats, any sort of training course (language, diving, climbing,..) and long distance trains are good options. Probably my preference, but I tend to find the clientele of "budget" operators tend to be more sociable than those of luxury operations.

16. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

I have a colleague exactly like you. It all depends how well you got to know your colleagues and now friends.

They prefer not to go home simply because it takes a total of 4 days of return travel. So they do the solo thing for a few weeks. The rest of the time they visit their colleague friends they've made over the years.

Last summer they did: Cambodia (charity stuff they do every year) - friend 1 Portugal - friend 2 the Netherlands - friend 3 London - friend 4 NY.

Takes a lot of planning. They cluster their travel so there's no back track traveling except for flying back 'home' (work).

17. ToK-tastic

ToK-tastic New commenter

The whole world to choose from my friend, yet indecision and a tad of dissatisfaction strikes. I gently suggest that the journey inside may be more important than the journey outside. I recommend two wonderful books:
    The Art of Travel by Alain de Botton
    Vagabonding by Rolf Potts

In Vagabonding Rolf Potts tells us that the secret to successful travel is to slow down, maybe to stay still. Have a read of both books, you find many answers to your questions.

colacao17, towncryer and rouxx like this.
  18. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Thanks for the recommendation @ToK-tastic . Some of my friends and colleagues seem so keen on simply ticking off the number of countries they have been to rather than spending time in a place or returning to get to know it better.

ToK-tastic and colacao17 like this.
  19. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

Pet sitting/house sitting? If you log onto the house sitting websites about now you can apply for sits all over the world. If you like animals and want to stay in a home environment but be in different countries it might suit you.You get a more local feel to wherever you're staying rather than you would in a hotel.

20. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

We’re just going through this ourselves, trying to decide what to do - but we’re a family of four who haven’t saved a lot of money during the first year due to set up costs and having to rent something for next year - so need to pay accomadation costs over the summer even if we’re not here with no accomadation allowance (doesn’t kick in until September next year).

Only possibility of somewhere to stay instead of where we work (which is home) is my wife’s mother but that’s not really feasible due to circumstances for long.

So we’re not sure what we’re going to do but our school is good in that you can take the flight or money as part of the last salary of the year. We will probably stay here for a week or two, just relax. And then go somewhere locally (possibly Egypt or Oman) for a week to ten days, then back. Then head to Europe, stay with the wife’s family for a week to ten days, then thinking of Cyprus for a week to ten days.

Then to England for a week to ten days to visit my family, possibly Edinburgh for a little bit, and then back.

Long haul and east will wait until next summer.