1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

single status legality/fairness???

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Ophelia 9, May 25, 2011.

1. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Our LA used this too - majority of TAs signed their new contracts - most actually gained money, though not as much as they should have done! Those of us who didn't sign were deemed to have accepted the new contracts by dint of continuing to work after the 90 days redundancy notice.
    Best advice is for you all to join a union asap! If you have any worries about future redundancy (not to mention the other horrendous situations which can arise for those who work in schools) union membership is essential. Official representatives of school support staff are GMB, Unison and (less popular) Unite - please join one of these very soon for your own protection.

2. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Thanks, It mentions dismissal not redundancy. Would this mean they were redundant after 90 days?If so,wouldn't they be entitled to redundancy pay? If it is deemed as dismissal they would surely have lost all accrued benefits? What would be the grounds for dismissal?
    I agree,we should be in a union.I think it's just a case of feeling safe and comfortable up until now!

3. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Thankyou so much.Everyone is very worried at the moment. There are no details yet apart from it is believed all level 1's and 3's will become 2's.Not sure how that works as most of the level 3's have extra responsibilities but none are qualified to level 3,just vastly experienced. Several of the level 1's are level 3 qualified and only two of the 2's are qualified as such.Nobody in our school was consulted on their rolls and responsibilities for the assesment of levels.We have nothing in writing yet. I think the most worried are those with no qualifications but 20+ years experience and accrued benefits.They have a lot to lose if these benefits are not carried over to a new contract and not much chance of finding a new job with age and lack of paper qualifications behind them. Will keep you posted as i'm sure there are more out there going through this with no real information available.We have just gone through an equal pay settlement and are not allowed to discuss it apart from with immediate family! As I said i'm not in a union,but I would love to see what would happen if,just for a day, all T.A.'s stopped work! I think we are so undervalued and over worked ,although I don't mind the over worked ,would just love to be paid an appropriate rate for it all!

4. R13

R13 New commenter

"Most of us are not union members so don't really have anywhere to go for advice"
    Apologies for being rather predicatable but whilst you can and do get some good advice on this site the best advice you can have is this . . . .join a union!