1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Single Status and TA's

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by tree of life, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Hi folks, I posted a query about the new single status wage slip being issued by Birmingham schools. I haven't been able to find any response. Does anyone out there understand it? especially people on term time only contract. very confused.
    Thanks.

2. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Hi, tree of life - the new pay slips are not actually anything to do with Single Status but just yet another of Birmingham's rubbish 'improvements' of their computer systems which are supposed to somehow make them more efficient but actually have caused chaos! At least we've been getting our pay in the bank which is better than some of the non-school staff did when it was first introduced!
    I'm afraid the pay slip is a total mystery to everyone I know - and I worked in a Wages department for many years in a past existence - I am getting paid £2.65 a month for Laundry! I can't begin to imagine what it is meant to be but I'm sure there is someone out there who is expecting this payment and not getting it. The hours/salary quoted on mine also do not bear any resemblance to what I should be paid but, fortunately I am actually getting paid the correct gross amount (apart from the mysterious laundry, of course!)
    Sorry not to be more helpful on this - I haven't had an opportuntiyt to ring Wages myself and school Bursar insists that it will sort itself out - not sure about that one. If I can work out anything about what it all means I will let you know.

3. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Hello again - someone at work contacted the wages office this morning and I am a little less confused now!
    First line of the pay slip has your term-time salary - the <u>units</u> column tells you how many weeks you are paid for in the year ( as I have worked for BCC for more than 10 years mine is pro-rata to 30 days holiday and works out at 46.64 weeks) - and the<u> value</u> is one month's gross pay.
    The line with the description Hrs/LGPS/Sal shows in the <u>units</u> column the number of hours you work in a week (not how many paid per week, which the old pay slip used to show), the<u> rate</u> is the percentage you pay to the Pension scheme (LGPS) and the <u>value</u> should show your <u>actual</u> gross pay but the wages department know that these figures are wrong and apparently some changes are being made to the pay slip for the future (don't know when - these rubbish computer systems can often take months to correct!)
    Your term-time salary should be correct so multiplied by 12 will give you your actual gross figure. Deductions column is fairly straightforward on mine - I'm told that anyone who has a Travelcard through the council has that deduction showing as 'Season Ticket' now.
    Hope this helps - let me know if you've got something completely different from this and I might be able to help you work it out!

4. Hi Ophella,
    Thank you so much for your clear information. I have checked the information you gave against my wage slip and now have a better understanding of the mess BCC and their creative ideas have created. I tried phoning them but couldn't get a proper answer, only to be told " we know there is a problem with term -time wage slips it will be sorted next month." Three wage slips on it still the same. Well I suppose we should be thankful that our term-time salary is correct. Once again thank you for your help.