1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Single sex schools

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by greathat, Apr 17, 2007.

1. There's a job going at an all girls school and I'm not quite sure about it. School sounds great but I can't really say I'm that thrilled about the single sex aspect. Are there benefits to teaching the sexes seperately? I'm sure research has been done into it, but I don't know where I'd find it.

Any help gratefully received. Thanks!

2. There's a job going at an all girls school and I'm not quite sure about it. School sounds great but I can't really say I'm that thrilled about the single sex aspect. Are there benefits to teaching the sexes seperately? I'm sure research has been done into it, but I don't know where I'd find it.

Any help gratefully received. Thanks!

3. I taught 5 years in an all girls and would jump at the chance to go back to this.

Having said that I think it's far easier to do as a woman - they gave the male teachers a bit of a hard time.

4. I teach at a boys school and i much prefer it to mixed. Partly thats because its a very good school, but also because the boys have no one to show off to and you can tailor your teaching style to a more boy firendly manner.

5. From what I have experienced I have found that single sex schools lead to a better environment and better results. I find the kids show off less and the boys therefore tend to do more work and act less like idiots as they're not trying to impress the girls and vice versa!

I have found that both boys and girls tend to work better in a single sex environment, and DEFINITELY tend to get better grades. If you look at the top ten schools in the league table a diproportionate number of these are single sex schools.

But then there is more to school life than just academic results! So some people do prefer mixed schools as they do mean that the students inmteract more with the opposite sex and this can be better for them socially. So it completely depends on what you want from the school I guess.

Having said that I work at a mixed school now and I love it!!!