1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Single parent wanting to teach overseas

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by bobbie1991, Jan 9, 2018.

1. bobbie1991

bobbie1991 New commenter

Hello

(I’m very new to this, first post, so please be nice!)
    I am a single mother of a 5 year old and am currently teaching in London. I’m hoping to move abroad and trial teaching overseas. I’d love to work in Europe and have been looking at various countries. I don’t really have a preference but would like to be in an International school.
    My issue is the benefits packages... both the Middle East and Asia offer fab packages including a school place for my son, flights home, medical insurance etc but Europe don’t seem to have the same sort of benefits. Is this right?
    Can anybody recommend some good places to look into/websites to look on?

Thank you

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yup, that is more or less right, bobbie1991. Europe has the culture and the convenience, but on the whole the ME and SE Asia will offer a better overall package.

According to an ancient legend, there is a fabled beast, wrinkled and covered in mud, that is doomed forever to wander the TES Teaching Overseas forum. Those who seek answers to their questions from this aged oracle send him one of those Conversation things.

KarenEvs likes this.
  3. StrangePanda

StrangePanda New commenter

As above. It might be worth considering SE Asia... teachers are generally able to afford some kind of domestic help (or live-in 'helper' if we are talking about HK). This can be invaluable when you are working full time and trying to juggle childcare requirements (for example, when your son or daughter has to take a day of school because they are unwell). Don't rule it out just yet... flights back to the UK are plentiful and not that much of a hassle.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  4. the hippo

Yes, I absolutely agree with StrangePanda. Mrs Hippo and I do not have any baby hippos, but colleagues with children have told me that the availability and the affordability of childcare is a key factor. Yes, an ayee can be a tremendous asset, but the bad news is that some of them need a lot of guidance and training. And they don't all speak English.

5. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Countries outside the "popular" Europe also offer packages that can include housing, flights, tuition etc, and salaries that allow for childcare. Former USSR satellites (and Russia itself) are good places to start, and you might be surprised about the wonderfully European style of life. Cafe culture, centuries old buildings, opera houses...

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  6. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Highly recommend Southeast Asia.
    You can definitely do it.
    Good luck!

7. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

If these are the benefits you are interested in then most of Europe is probably still doable, as in most places school places are free and you will be covered by local medical provision, which is of a high standard. Flights become less of an issue when you can get a Ryanair special for 30 quid. Other benefits (housing allowance, shipping, yearly flights, utilities etc) you will only get in eastern Europe or elsewhere though.

8. the hippo

9. Hey,

Just want to know if you managed to make it happen?

I am thinking about it to. I have a 12 year old daughter.

Hope to hear from you x

Teresahaughey likes this.
  10. How did you star
    T
    How did u start all this process of travelling N