1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Single parent - supply teaching - help please

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by emziiep, Oct 25, 2018.

1. emziiep

emziiep New commenter

I graduated in 2017 but still yet to take the skills tests so no QTS. As I've had time out I wanted to get back into it through supply before applying to do my NQT year but I'm really unsure of what to do.

I know that you can't work longer than a term (I think?) With QTS but have spoken to someone recently who had a long term position doing unqualified supply who said the pay is good and tax isn't bad (which is another thing I'm confused about!)

The thing I'm worried about is I'm a single parent and I have a 3 and 1 year old so will rely on benefit top ups to help with nursery fees but after seeing everything recently about universal credit and parents being left with no money scared the life out of me but I really want to get back into teaching. I appreciate any advice and thankyou for reading (sorry it's long).

Katherella and pepper5 like this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi em

You have a few issues here.

Firstly, you need to sit down and write out a timetable on how many hours you want to work each week. Long term cover for say three days per week might suit you because of having very young children at home. They of course are your first responsibility and the last thing you want to do is to stretch yourself too thin. Day to day supply probably would be too stressful since you probably want to have a firm schedule for childcare.

Next, there are the issues of how money you earn affects your benentits. You can call the benefits agency and someone will explain the thresholds etc regarding benefits and taxable income. You can earn a certain amount each year tax free. The benefits agency will explain how any money you wear affects your benefits etc.

Lastly, you need to look into how to do your NQT year, skills test etc. And you can call the Government Teaching Agency or whatever body looks after teacher training. They will also tell you about supply and time limits and any other questions you have.

Remember, your children won't be tiny forever. When they get a lot bigger, earning money won't be such a dilemma for you and you are doing well to look ahead.

If there is anything else you need regarding supply, have a look on the new to supply thread to get some ideas on what to do.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. Katherella

Katherella New commenter

Hi Em, I am another single parent supply teacher (or at least I will be as soon as I am called with any work!). It's a tricky business working it all out isn't it? One thing I didn't realise until recently is that when you are calculating your average working hours, you do not need to divide them up across the whole year. I wished that I had known this two years ago! I wish you the very best with it all. :)

pepper5 likes this.