1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Single Parent primary NQT wanting to teach abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by abigail_louise_finn, Jun 4, 2020.

1. abigail_louise_finn

abigail_louise_finn New commenter

Hi all,

I’m just looking for some tips/advice please!
    im 28, single parent to 7 year old daughter. I will qualify next month and would really love to teach abroad for a couple of years....I just don’t know where to begin?! I feel really overwhelmed by the amount of information out there & would like any advice from any single parents who have done the same?
    Do you need to have a lot of money to do it?
    Where do I begin?
    Thanks in advance. :)

2. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

You are best off getting at least 2 years teaching experience in the UK (including your NQT year) before going abroad. If you don't, chances are you might end up in a terrible school somewhere or not paid what you're worth.

3. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Somewhere that includes school fees for staff children as standard (and health insurance too, in those countries where public health is non-existent). These aren't always standard. Check also that they will pay rellocation allowance.

It's also worth you checking the hours you'd be expected to work: would you get a decent work-life balance.

On another note - and apologies if this is stating the obvious - but do check with your child's other parent. You will need to get their permission to move your child overseas with you, and get it in writing. Sadly, I've seen a colleague forced to return to the UK as her ex rescinded his (verbal) agreement and then took her to court. You may find that they would agree to you moving to certain countries, but not others.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

tb9605 makes an important point, I think.

As regular readers of the pachyderm's online ramblings will know well, Mr. and Mrs. Hippopotamus do not have any baby hippos. However, I have taught in one or two places around the world and I have had colleagues who were single parents. Perhaps I might be of some help, abigail_louise_finn, so I have sent to you one of those TES Conversation things. You need to click on your avatar in the top right-hand corner of the screen.

5. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I echo the excellent advice that you accrue some experience at home before looking to move.
    As an inexperienced primary teacher with an expensive dependent, you are not competitive for decent schools. You are, however, likely to be viewed as fresh meat for the nastier schools.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Good advice all round, especially tb9605, this happened to me a few years ago and it caused no end of problems.

7. medusa888

medusa888 New commenter

Definitely second, third and fourth the advice about permission from the other parent, and through a court order to prevent the other parent from changing their minds. I came out to China last summer with 2 children. Their father had not seen them for years and avoided all forms of child maintenance. He contested it and it cost me £10k for two court hearings and associated legal fees (barrister, solicitor). He didn't even turn up to the second hearing! I was granted my court order but it was certainly a stressful time!