1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Single Mum - work full or part time?

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by Exit3, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Exit3

Exit3 New commenter

Hi :)
    I need to earn as much as I can (don't we all!) whilst spending as much time as possible with my 2 year old. I have frankly got a headache from trying to understand how Tax Credits work. I have seen an advisor at the Job Centre too - but she didn't understand it herself! I do not want to end up working too many days to then find I have the same income or even less (due to losing Tax Credits). I have the opportunity to work either 2 or 4 days ... which would be a smarter move financially? My daughter already accesses the free 2 year nursery funding (15 hours a week). Many thanks for your thoughts x

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

3. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

I'm sorry I don't know much about this but isn't it all about establishing how many hours you actually work? Which is like asking how long a piece of string is. You could do with someone who is in the same situation replying really, if you don't have much luck here maybe post this on pay and conditions or ask for some Union advice. Good luck x

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

To qualify for working tax credit, you have to work at least 16 hours, and there doesn't seem to be a single answer to what proportion of a teaching contract that is. However it's probably reasonably clear cut in this case, as 2 days is going to be less than 16 hours (in theory, anyway), and 4 days will definitely be over.