1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Single mum with 1.5 years teaching experience......

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by hippy-chic, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Hello

Could someone please offer encouraging words which means finding work abroad will not be a problem. I feel that because a) I am not married and b) I don't have as much experience, I will find it difficult to get work......

thanks

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

Sorry not to fulfil your request, but you will find it harder than the average Joe to get a job overseas.
    Most places want 2 years experience. Most schools will emply married couples with children as the school gets a good deal (like buy one get one free, but not quite) but a single person is a more economically unsound option, some countries simply would not entertain an unmarried mother (unless you are a widow?) as this is against the 'rules' of that country. Schools would want to know how you plan to deal with childcare and carry out a potentially demanding full time job.
    What are your options? I know Egypt tends to be a little freer with it's selections. You may be able to get emplyement at some of the lower grade schools (ie lower pay, not so good packages and in less desirable/popular countries).
    I don't like to be too negative, but you need to be aware of the reality before you put in the efforts to make applications.
    Unless anybody disagrees or knows anything different?

3. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

I agree with a lot of what stopwatch says.
    Are you teaching now?
    If you are teaching at the moment, then you will have the required two years experience by the time September comes around. However, as you are probably aware the schools are start advertising positions now!
    You just need to mention any work you will have from now until September to make up the missing amount on your CV.
    Good luck!

4. Have had two female members of staff at our school with kids and estranged husbands.
    But do you want to work in Cairo? How old are the children? Do you offer a highly sought after subject?
    Stoppers can't spell employ or employment! [​IMG]

5. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

Now then FP, you know I can spell both employment and employ. It's just the excitement of contributing to these threads, I get carried away and just want to press SUBMIT befeor I hvae chekcd mi spelin.
    Mind you, unlike some others, I don't have a hissy fit when my spelling is questioned. [​IMG]

6. Hi,
    Recruiters in many Asian countries would not ask you about how you would arrange childcare as it is quite possibly an option to hire a full time nanny for a fraction of your salary. I teach in China where almost all international school teachers who are parents of young children have hired help.
    Being single might be preferable (in the eyes of recruiters) to being a teacher with a non-teaching spouse, for whom a school would have to pay flights, visas, medical insurance etc.

7. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Some schools in Qatar do employ single mothers with children.