1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Single mum thinking of working in Bangkok

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by ettie72, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Hi all. I've been teaching secondary English for 15 years now, the last 5 of which have been in Scotland, and been part time since having my son in 2008. However, I'm really struggling to get a a full time position back in England (been told that I'm simply too expensive now and that, thanks to budget cuts, cheaper, less experienced staff are being favoured.) Sooo, feeling utterly demoralised and undervalued, I'm considering applying for jobs abroad for a few years. Working abroad has always interested me, and now I have a child, I'd love to give him the experience of a different culture and the opportunities that this affords. However, I'm a single mum and I'm not sure if this would be frowned down upon. I'm interested in Bangkok, UAE and Hong Kong (so far!) but am I being unrealistic? Conventional families and young teachers (I still consider myself young!! 40 in March!! Gawd!) seem to be welcomed, but would cultural differences be a problem? All advice would be very much appreciated!

2. Hi all. I've been teaching secondary English for 15 years now, the last 5 of which have been in Scotland, and been part time since having my son in 2008. However, I'm really struggling to get a a full time position back in England (been told that I'm simply too expensive now and that, thanks to budget cuts, cheaper, less experienced staff are being favoured.) Sooo, feeling utterly demoralised and undervalued, I'm considering applying for jobs abroad for a few years. Working abroad has always interested me, and now I have a child, I'd love to give him the experience of a different culture and the opportunities that this affords. However, I'm a single mum and I'm not sure if this would be frowned down upon. I'm interested in Bangkok, UAE and Hong Kong (so far!) but am I being unrealistic? Conventional families and young teachers (I still consider myself young!! 40 in March!! Gawd!) seem to be welcomed, but would cultural differences be a problem? All advice would be very much appreciated!

3. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

No problem generally in the good schools at all. You will need to cast your net a little wider - if Bangkok, why not Singapore? If Hong Kong, why not Beijing or Shanghai?

4. Thanks for your advice Syria1. I'll start doing further research!

5. I'm a single mum with twins and have been teaching overseas with my children once 2003. We are just about to move onto Asia. Most schools don't seem to have a problem. Just make sure yo do your research and make sure you can afford to live . Not sure if policies have changed in the UK but once you take yourself and child overseas and it's not a secondment you are not entitled to child support and family allowance. However if you find the right post you should be fine.

6. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

I've been in Bangkok for three years, though I don't have children. However, there are single mums at my school, with kids of varying ages, and thy still love Bangkok. The main issue for them is that our school is mainly Thai, which makes it difficult for new kids to make friends, in the beginning at least. Most make good friends after a while though, but it can be worrying for parents in the beginning. That's something to think about, as is the cost of living- will you be able to save enough to fly you and your child home for Christmas, for example?