1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Single Mum Teacher's How Do You Cope?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by MrsMousebear, Mar 19, 2012.

1. I've been a single mum for almost 10 years and during that time I studied for a degree, my PGCE and held down a full time teaching job. I've seen my eldest daughter through her GCSE's and A Levels and off to University. But now her twin siblings are sitting their GCSE's and my father's Alzheimer's is deteriorating. I love my job, and I love the school which is an hour away by car but I'm struggling to keep up with everything. I changed to working 4 days a week but my workload hasn't reduced enough to make much difference, although my income has!
    Does anyone have any tips or advice on managing the workload when you are the only parent?

2. naomi58

naomi58 New commenter

It sounds like you've been doing an amazing job for a very long time! Do you have siblings who could help with your father? Or maybe he now needs professional help? I just think you should be congratulated. X

3. Hi and thank you for your comments Naomi,
    Although my father's Alzheimer's is deteriorating it is not so much his care that is the issue. He wants to see me and I want to spend as much time as I can with him before it deteriorates to the point where he doesn't know me.